Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teach me how to drive my SM465!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Feb 4, 2007.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I've had my truck for a while, and I can drive it fine, but how do I downshift properly?

Whenever I'm going up a hill and need more grunt I just push the clutch in and downshift, and this usually locks the rearend up and slows me way down.

do I have to put it in neutral, rev it, then downshift?

Help :(

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The 465 is a wide ratio transmission you cant drive it like a car. When you downshift you need to rev the engine slightly while letting out the clutch. You basically need to get the engine close to where you think it would be for the speed you are going and it will not lock up the rear.

Ira

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

its called double clutching and it helps when you downshift. it will make it easier to get it in gear and keep from slowing you down as much. I hope your talking about going from 4th to 3rd. your rear end shouldnt lock up when you downshift unless your dropping to a gear thats too low.

4. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Yup. 4th to 3rd, it slows me down way too much when I need momentum, and it locks up.

5. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

If i'm buzzin down the highway at like 60, turning around 2k rpm...can I downshift to overtake or whatever?

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can, but your engine will be up around 5000 rpm... I just never bothered trying to pass people on the highway, unless I had a lot of time to do so, or if they were going exceptionally slow...

Typically, I wouldn't shift back to 3rd unless I was going 45 mph, or slower

7. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Guess I'll just be cruisin on the freeway, but if I need to downshift on a hill or whatever, I go to downshift like i normally would, but rev just before i let the clutch out into the lower gear?

8. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i drive mine just like i drive my car, except slower and easier, and it never locks up when im down shifting. sounds like operator error

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3rd is 1.7:1 ratio, so is you're running down the freeway at 2400 rpm and try to downshift you'll be doing 4000 rpm at the same speed and not have much left before needing to hit 4th again. I have never downshifted to 3rd unless i'm doing under 45 mph. You should pretty much be lugging in 4th before attempting to downshift, and even then the wide spacing between gears means it'll be roaring in 3rd.

What gears are you running?

Rene

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Just brng the revs up before you let the clutch out for 3rd. Easy. I need to do it all the time with my highway-geared 6.2L.

11. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Rene, it turns pretty low rpms on the highway but I'm also only currently running 31's. I'd say 3.08s.

How fast should i let the clutch out when downshifting?

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

It's not such a matter of how fast, rather how smooth and with how much throttle.

I could run through my gears in my last one without the clutch by matching engine rpm to where it needed...up and down shifts.
    It probably wasn't the best thing to do to it, but you get the idea.

You need to learn to listen and know when it will go into gear at what speed.
    Once you get that down, you'll know when you need and can shift smoothly and yes, quickly.