Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tearing my hair out, what should I look for in a vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Nov 27, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm almost finished stripping my DD to sell it, but I have no idea what I'm gonna do once it sells. I'm either going to buy an economy car or a rig capable of towing my trail rig.

Option #1: Economy car. My sister is probably going to sell her '00 GP soon, and getting the family discount would be key. If that doesn't work out, eco cars are a dime a dozen. I could sell my truck, save money on gas, and pick up some cash immediately to either save or dump into my next build. But, I would be at the mercy of my dad for a tow rig. Our relationship goes from awesome to yelling matches with no notice, so it's sort of sketchy whether or not I'll have a tow rig sometimes.

Option #2: Tow rig. I'd be looking for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton gasser. The pre-'98 body styles are cheap as hell right now and a 454 is always a good motor. I could also look for a Gen III 6.0 block for a good, reliable tow rig. Rather have an 8.1 for power but they're as rare as hen's teeth from what I've seen. Gas mileage wouldn't be great but I get an average of about 11 with the truck I have now, and it'd puke it's guts out if I towed my trail rig with it. A major drawback is that I'd need to take out a loan. I'd be repaying it on unsteady seasonal work. Even though I probably have the resources to pay up front I'd have no reserves and wouldn't be able to wheel for a while. A definite plus is that I would have my own tow rig and wouldn't have to be borrowing trucks constantly.

Anybody have input? It's a one or the other situation here. I already have two trucks and trailer, I don't want to add another vehicle to maintain and title to the mayhem. This vehicle is going to replace my DD so the $200 take a year to rebuild it special won't work in this situation.

I'm 50/50 right now. I can deal with payments on a truck and living cheap to make the tow rig work, and looking toward the future when I don't live at home, I'll need a rig of my own. But it would definitely be nice to pad the bank account and save some money on gas.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Get the Grand Prix or an economy car. You dont need to be resonsible for a car payment while in college, thats no fun...

3. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Why not do both bro? Buy a chevy cavalier... i see 01-2's going for 1500 bucks or less man. I can find 3/4/ 1-tons around here for 3k or less almost everyday. Then talk to your insurance and try to make a deal on the tow-rig. I have my ford licenced as a wood hauler/ utilitly truck since i only drive it when its snowing or the wether sucks and its like 30 bucks a month.

4. mikey_d05

I don't have the space. I'm already running on borrowed favors to store my trail truck. Pretty soon I'll have a Toy cab and chassis, and if I bought another vehicle and threw that in the mix it'd be a nightmare. Also, maintenance is pretty big. I have my dad's burb here at school because mine has a mystery problem at the moment. I don't want to have to be troubleshooting two vehicles at once. My insurance is real screwy because of my dad's policy, but it'd be twice the cost if I started my own policy at a different firm. Basically, juggling two vehicles probably isn't worth it for me given my current situation. If things were different (and they will be when I graduate) I'd go about this way differently.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Being that you're need a dailly driver, I say get something that gets decent MPG's and looks good to you. I hate the underpowered 4 cyl cars, but really can't afford too feed a V8 everyday, so a small to midsize V6 powered car works for me for a dailly driver.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

2 words; geo metro.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

get the tow rig, im in the same shoes as you and i would much rather have a tow rig because lets face it, niether of us is most likely never going to quit wheeling any time soon.

8. mikey_d05

This is gonna make it sound like I've already made up my mind but that's kinda my line of thinking. I'd have a reliable DD that, albeit bad on gas, would tow my rig and most anything else I want it to. My current DD already sucks down gas and I can keep up with it. Hell, when I tow with the diesel I get 12 mpg and that's with diesel being almost a buck more than gas here. When I graduate from college, I'm gonna have to be moving this rig and my dad prolly won't be near where I'm gonna live.

An economy car will be great right up until the point I get a job offer and have to move all my **** plus an extra 8,000 pound trailer gawd knows how far from home. I can pick up an econobox when I feel like it, but I think a rig capable of hauling my pile will be all around more capable even if higher operating cost is the result.

I just hope I get a decent price for my '93 :crazy:

9. gauder

gauder Banned

8.1 powered 2500 series Avalanche.

10. mikey_d05

You drive the car, I'll rob the bank.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe...

I'd get an econobox,save every dime ,nickel ,and penny you can,and put it towards a good tow rig..you could always RENT one for the few times you'd need it to move or whatever,for the time being..until you can afford one of your own... :crazy:

12. outlawtorn

just buy a ford taraus, put a hitch on it and tow the blaze. Problem solved :p:

13. mikey_d05

If you were a man I'd punch you right in the mouth.

I've thought about putting a TBI 454 and 4L80E in my current truck but the wheelbase is so short it'd get real squirrely real fast.

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Mikey, go buy a tow rig. Like you said, pre-98(00) trucks are going cheap these days, both gassers and 6.5's. I was just down this road myself, and having a clean, older tow rig of your own is nice. I could have went out and bought a D-max, or the avalanche I wanted, but the fact that i have the title for my '95 sitting on my desk, dont have any debt over it, and am not stuck driving some death trap while having to borrow other peoples trucks to tow my Toy is a good feeling. Figure out what you can spend, find out what you can scrounge up, and go buy an older big block or diesel of your choise. Clean older rigs for cheap exist, you just have to find them.

This is what i just picked up. I went from almost signing on a brand new Tundra, looking at big block avalanche's and D-max trucks to buying an older 6.5TD truck for cash, and it was worth it:

[​IMG]

15. mikey_d05

Nice.

If you don't mind me asking how much did it run you?

There's an '00 2500 CCSB with 58,000 miles on it and a vortec 454 for $15k like 20 miles from home. I'd be in debt, but not badly.

16. outlawtorn

hes got his eye on a 2000 454... pretty clean truck but its a chunk of change :o I personally would just go with the taurus route :wink1:

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I paid $8K for it. Truck has 163K miles, but the motor was replaced and has only 10K on it(still under waranty, too), trans was rebuilt at the same time the motor was out. Came with 2 sets of wheels and tires, and some other various do-dads and whatnot. ;) No rust anywhere, and the interior is in great shape. The fact that its loaded with everything but leather was just another bonus. I was actually suprised at the lack of rust when i first looked at it, being that its spent its whole life in the salt belt.

18. mikey_d05

Damn, that's a good price. I've gotta keep looking. This is the CC I was talking about anyways.

[​IMG]

19. gauder

gauder Banned

20. gauder

gauder Banned