Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

teaser pics...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i decided to post a couple pics of the final dryfit last week on my dash for your amusement... its in the process of getting its satin black like my console at the moment...

got a few surprises in the coming steps too.. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

loving it. its going to be so bad ass. that material kicks ass. cant wait to do the rear panels out of it.

looking good paul

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Pretty sweet. What material did you use?

4. ryoken

thanks... i'm pretty stoked on it now that its in black...

its an epoxy composite.. basically the densest fiberglass you'll ever find.. machine extruded... you work it like fiberglass.. grind, tab, etc... we use it extensively on boats...

its 11 individual pieces fabbed together...

heres a link to the composite..

http://www.pultrude.com/stand.html

5. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Looks real good man :thumb: Just waitin' for the suprises.........

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Looks good! :waytogo:

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

So how is it worked? You buy a sheet and bond them together using an epoxy type system? Thats a cool set up. How is the $ on the stuff?

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

im sure paul will tell ya, but from what i remeber him saying, its pricy. we are both going to do our rear side panels out of some fiberglass board he uses at work. both oif us buying would be cheaper. i know he has a lot of man hours on that bezel, but its going to look awesome

9. ryoken

thank ya sir... :D

hey Craig, like Tom said, it "can" be pricey... it comes in 4' x 8' sheets.. well, actually, the regional distributor for the stuff will usually rip pieces to size cheap or free if need be.. that can be a blessing cuz you have to have the right blades to cut it... a fine carbide in a circular saw will usually only last about 10' of ripping before its wiped on thick stuff.. ya need diamond tip stuff.. anywhere from to $30 to $100 each usually..

this is also dependent on thickness of material. 1/8, which is what we're thinking for the rear panels (tho i'm contemplating something a tad thicker), can be cut easily with a jigsaw or carbide for a while.. but it also comes in 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, etc.. 1/2 is a bear to cut, and heavy, a 1/2" x 4' x 8' prolly weighs in at 100lbs.. a sheet of 1/8 will bend somewhat, whereas 1/4 will barely flex full-length..

off the top of my head, prices run about $100 for a sheet of 1/8, whereas 1/4, which is what my dash and console are, runs about 175, 1/2 runs like $300 a sheet... i knocked off a $100 dollar debt my boss had with me for the materials i used on the dash and console..

and yeah, its put together how you would think.. you channel out the edges where you are seaming/bonding, lay a cloth epoxy tape, saturate with epoxy, sand, prime and finish as necessary.. there are other methods of bonding too, it comes in many shapes, lengths of i-beam, angle, etc... i was going to use the angle bonded in the corner method for my console, but went with the grind, cloth method instead...

first time my other mechanic saw the dash he smirked and said, "ya know, you should really make a mold of it" ;)

i'm amped on doing the back walls in it.. totally water proof... and you paint it any color... i'm guessing i'll carry over the copper i'm gonna do the whole outside in over onto the back panels, but i may do em the semi black, we'll see..

and although not an audio expert, i have a sneaky suspension it would make for awesome speaker cabinet material, i mean really good.... if you made house speakers out this stuff in 1/2 or 3/4, i bet they'd be insane.. hopefully it will work out well with some good marine 6x9's in the back... i'm very happy with the results carrying it thru the interior, think its gonna work out well.. heck, i may do something with door panels in it too.... :D

wow, that was long... :o ;)