Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tech 4 2.5 in blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gooseo, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Gooseo

Gooseo Registered Member

Will a 2.5 from a 91 S10 bolt up alright to a 91 blazer that had a 4.3?

-Will it fit the motor mounts and trans ok?

-(besides the computer and maybe exhaust) anything else that 2.5 will need in that environment? Anything else I would have to go get?

-any other forseeable problems?

Why would i do this you ask?
    -fuel economy
    -got my hands on a free rebuilt Tech 4 and i love those motors
    -very very easy to find an old blazer with a blown engine

no im not just going to put it in an S10, I already have 2 of them :laugh: each with their own respected tech 4's. Dont ask why i own 3 tech 4 motors because im not even sure i know the answer lol.

thanks,
    Gooseo

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

nope. the 2.5 shares the same bellhousing pattern as the 60 degree v6's. same motor mounts too i think.

which is different from the 4.3 v6 stuff.

good luck on your swap.

3. Gooseo

Gooseo Registered Member

I dont understand what you said.

What I wanted to know is, will the transmission from the blazer with the 4.3 hook up to my 2.5?

4. my87Half-ton k5

my87Half-ton k5 Registered Member

i think hes saying no. i believe hes saying the 3.1 and 2.8 bellhouses will but dont quote me

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

6. Gooseo

Gooseo Registered Member

DOH

I have a manual trans that goes with that 2.5, will the motor mounts match and all that if i then scrap all the 4.3 engine&trans? Is that an advisable route?

7. my87Half-ton k5

you never actually said you had a tranny..i can see now you implied it but you never said it....

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd suspect you could go with a 700 that uses the 60* bolt pattern, that might bolt up to the transfercase.

You are talking about a '91 K5, right?

The problem I see in doing that swap is that a full size K5 at easily 5500lbs and is arguably underpowered with a 5.7L engine. You will be working a motor less than half that size MUCH harder than you would in a lighter vehicle. Your economy in town will suck, freeway MIGHT be ok if it makes enough power to propel the vehicle at freeway speeds. Which is tough, even a 5L has a problem doing that.

Plenty of folks here, myself included, get the same or better gas mileage running a 5.7L than a 5L. The best you are going to see from a K5 is going to be about 18 freeway and 10-13 city. Unless you get a diesel.

130ft lbs in a 5500lb truck with the aerodynamics of a birck is laughable. Even the 4.3 put out double that the same year. Last year specs are available from GM, the heaviest S10 Blazer was 4046, and the smaller motors were gone.

Just my opinion...I think you'd be horribly unimpressed spending the time and money swapping that small of a motor into a vehicle this big.

9. my87Half-ton k5

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I say try it! I would not do it myself. I would recomend a turbo or SC for your application. How knows, maybe he's on to somthing good? BTW, I have no input as far as your question goes.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Considering that his original post asked if the 2.5 would bolt in to a '91 "Blazer" that had a 4.3, and that the 4.3 was never offered in a K5, I would have to assume he is talking about an S-10 version.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pretty certain the 4.3 was offered in the K5. can't access the specs page right now but I know there is at least one around here.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm not sure but I think you're missing a few cylinders. :thinking:

14. Gooseo

Gooseo Registered Member

dyeager535 vbmenu_register("postmenu_1426515", true); you are mistaken.

Curb weight of an S10 is over 3000 lbs. My tech 4 2.5 "propels" my S10 down the freeway 80+. In addition, I have loaded it with over 1000 lbs. before and the performance\mileage difference is negligible.

Perhaps the one you rode in wasnt firing on all cylinders or had oversized tires. Thats another problem, everybody loves that nice offroad look with oversized tires on their trucks. When I had huge massive mud king tires on my truck, mileage and performace were HORRIBLE:eek1: . I switched back to the factory specs, 195/75-14's and tuned the engine and that truck has plenty of power. A tech 4 would power a little S10 blazer just fine. Besides Im not going to tow or pull anything, just goto work and wife may run around in it.

Anybody reading this please see my new thread......