Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tech: Detailed Wiper Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, May 24, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

In the middle of wiring my '73 fiberglass bodied K5 from scratch. Just fust finished the wipers, in case anybody is interested I thought I'd share the diagram. The GM diagrams are a little confusing and not so complete as the fuse box is not detailed anywhere. I don't have a fuse box, I'm using breakers. But this might be useful to somebody (hopefully) trying to troubleshoot thier wipers or wire them from scratch.
    Keep in mind, I used different colors than stock (it's hard to find black with blue stripe SXL rated wire in various gauges!) but the OEM colors are refereced in the corner.
    THis is for 1984 steering column and module and motor. 85-88 is the same, except I think they broke out the washer pump from the motor and put it in the washer resevoir itself, but same 2 pins and wire colors to run it. For Column mounted switch with pulse intermittent wipers. Module for 1984 is a different number than 85-91, but the 85-91 module works fine too, I tested it.
    70's years I believe use the same colors, but switch and module are integrated on the dash and motor might be a bit different. I'm using new motor, switch and module.
    BTW, for anybody putting the 80's style motor in thier 73-80 rig, you need the crank arm with the motor! It's a seperate part and is a longer reach than the 70's crank arm. GM #22038927
    1984 module is 15598460 for pulse wipers
    85-91 module is 15598496 for pulse wipers
    non-pulse wipers are wired same just a different module and switch (look them up on http://www.gmpartsdirect.com)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmmmm I have a 1978 and added a 1985 column to my truck.. I kept my plugs from the donor truck.. cut them out and patched them into my lines...

I LOVE IT!!! wipers and highbeams on the column :bow:

however I do have one problem that I am not sure if you can help with...
    the squirters are in the resivour....

I found both wires... run one to the bat and one to ground.. she works...

so I find the pink wire is the hot one... so I find the pink for the column and the washers dont work hooked on the column... I have the squirters hooked to a switch.. which is fine.. however how could I troubleshoot to figure out if the column switch is good or if I am trying to hook it to the wrong spot....

Like I said.. the highbeams work.... L and H on wipers work.....
    even when you twist for the wiper squirters.. the wipers come on but no squirt gets done...

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Very, very nice!!!
    I'll be using your schematic very soon!

4. 73k5blazer

Your right, the washer pump is just 2 wires one to bat and one 2 gorund and she squirts.
    But, gm wires that thing through the module and grounds it through there.
    GM wired it this way
    You turn on washer pump, white wire (1 to motor and 1 topump) and one of the others at the motor becomes hot (turns on low speed wipers) and pink wire to pump grounds out through the pink wire (my diagram is blue) to module back through the black wire coming out of the module, for a period shorter than then the low speed is turned on (white hot). So wiper runs a couple of strokes after pump is done pumping. During that time, white is still hot, but pink should have no ground.
    My guess is the ground side isn't grounding out. If the wipers come on, the white should be hot to the motor (it is if your wipers come on) and to the pump. The switch I believe is doing it's job, it's probably your module. Take a meter or light and connect it to that white wire and hit the washer switch. You should have power on that white wire. If you do, then take a meter in ohm mode and see if you have continuety between frame and that wire. If you don't have an ohm meter, cut or splice into that wire and ground it out, pump should come on.
    Check the black wire coming out of your module on the back side (not the side that connects to the switch) and ensure it has a good ground. If it does, and your white wire is hot when the switch comes on, your module is bad.

5. 73k5blazer

Ok...I had that a bit backwards. Sorry....what happens you turn the switch it should ground the motor out internally (to housing) with one of the other wires to motor, and that grounds the pump out through the housing. That's working, so the Motor is being grounded (because you said your wipers come on, so switch is doing it's job. Pink (blue on mine) wire to pump should be grounded as well when you first hit the washer. White is always hot when key is on no matter what.
    Pink goes back to module and module controls the grounding through the black wire (pin d). Check that ground, if it's good, your module is bad.

6. RootBreaker

WOW dude... ya got me so confused.... :haha:

well I got some time to worry bout it but you got me interested in getting it fixed...

let me start with this...

I have a 1982 wiper motor in there.. should I put the 1985 one in? as I kept it from the parts truck :bow:

7. 73k5blazer

Ok, it's easy (once you get it!), it's what a call a negative switching circuit. When key is on, the white wire to pump should be hot at all times no matter the position of the wiper switch.. Check for that with a meter or light. If it is, let's move on to the ground. Splice into or cut or weasel another wire into the pick wire socket at the pump wire and ground it, you should have a working pump.
    Put that back (unground the pink wire)
    If that works then check black wire in the cab from the module to ground. Make sure it's grounded. If it is, then your module is bad, it's not grounding out the pump. I guess the switch could be too, but I don't know how they did switch to module wiring, since that's all done for you if you buy a new switch and module.
    I don't the the motor itself matters in this case. If your wipers work, don't mess with that part. The motor is gorunded through the housing. The pump is grounded through switching in the module and the black wire coming out of the module.

8. RootBreaker

well I got one switch knocked out.... took my heat controls out....
    wd'd up the switch.. put back together and now it works.... so this is nice that i dont need the toggle switch for it anymore....

still cant get this working....

I did realize that my white wire for pump (behind resivour) was going to ground.. same place on the rad support the headlights are on....

I do have a white wire on the fire wall that I had cut off.. so im guessing this goes there.. I tried putting the white wire to the white wire instead of straight ground... still not working....

wacked out part is even with white wire on ground I ran the pink to a switch and that has been working....

i will have to check this out more... :doah:

9. RootBreaker

so if I was to re-wire from scratch as that maybe the easiest way....
    what would I have to do?

lets say... red wire and white wire from resivour into the cab.. which go where?

that should get me going....

thanks

p.s. I also turned the key on and do not have any voltage on the white wire.... that is cut under the hood... also under the 1985 column that I put in my truck.... there is a white wire but it too does not have any voltage

Thanks again
    Jeff

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Great post.

I vote that this becomes a sticky or saved in the tech articles.

Thanks for the great work!

11. 78C10

78C10 Newbie

Thanks

Just wanted to let you know how great this was. I have been looking for this diagram and you just made my life a lot easier. All I need now is to find the diagram that covers from the switch to the module. I am integrating an 89 column into a 78 body. The column has int. wipers and the body did not.

Thanks again,
    Christopher

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Nice! And thank you!!

13. RootBreaker

ok so i just wired up my dash... well less speedo and oil gauge (oil is now mechanical and cant find the connector to tie into it but that is a different topic..)...

so question... looking at that circuit.. i have to wire my wipers...

seems you show....
    grey on both 3 and 2 plug tied together
    white C on 3 plug to white A on 2 plug back to D - eliminate your breaker

so i can tie them together under the hood.. then bring them into the cab back to the plug at the column right?

i have a 1985 fullsize jimmy column.. it was working before i took at the wires out.. didnt have the squirters working though..

all i have left is wipers and interior light (dome by doors and light switch)

14. RootBreaker

actually now that im looking.. my ez harness has a wiper power... so that should run to black... c on 3 plug and a on white..... i think.. gonna try and wire it tomorrow.. then bleed clutch and MOVE IT!!! it aint moved in 2 years... and i know my hawgs got some wicked flat spots...

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Glad you figured it out! did my PM help you at all?

16. RootBreaker

yeah the ground circuit made sense then...

since i put a 87 column in a 78... i never got the squirtes working.. put a switch in to get them to work.... it did its job.. but i had the wires backwards when i was trying to get it going initially...

so since hot went to places.. and the switches completed the grounds.... making the circuits work.. i was able to get it...

then that also helped me with my dome light and floor light....

all i know is that im almost done and glad to be...

im gonna get it all done... clean it up and get it on the road... next summer is when im going to sit there with a book and do a writeup of what i put where...

the ez-wiring kit is pretty nice.. but their tech support sucks.. everytime i called i got a voicemail... left one and never got a return.. i did email their sales team and ask them to forward my email to tech support.. that worked once and i got a call.... but the guy was a little rude as if he thought i should know what im doing.... :dunno:

17. RootBreaker

well i put the power wire on... and had squirters... :woot:
    turned wipers on and on high it was like low.. and on low it didnt work.. :dunno:
    go figure i had 2 wires backwards.. switched em and viola :thumb:

now since i ran the wires through a hole in the firewall... and used wirenuts.. i now need to cut down the wires and crimp them into the factory harness....

18. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wire nuts? :shame:

19. RootBreaker

hah... yes wire nuts... and some wires are 5' long.. they are not staying that way.. i originally started wiring the truck and some wires are hot and shorted and blew fuses already.. so i put wire nuts on everything...

i have bad luck... better than no luck i guess... so it was easier to run wires and put them where i thought they went.. wire nut them.... verify it works then use connectors and or shrink tube....

there will be no wire nuts on the truck when im done.. im not 17 in 1989 anymore.. so im fixing all my back then young lad riggings.... doing it all right..

even then i cant fix my name... it is in the name for me to rig things...

RIGGS

HAHHHHAHAHAHA