Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tech-ish question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck79K30, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

so we have a swing for our daughter that helps us get some sleep, anyways, it runs off of 4 'd' cell batteries, and it eats them at the rate of 2 or 3 sets a week, so is there any way to make this damned thing run off of 110? any of you electrical gurus know some way? it would probably cost more to convert it, but it would be a good project for me...

2. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

It's easy brother! Are the d cells in a row?

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

110 huh...why not 220? :laugh:

4. Confedneck79K30

no, they're stacked alternating... LMAO @ 220

5. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

All we gotta finger out is if they are in series or parralel. can you get a pic? one way you increase the volts, the other you increase the amps. When we know that you can an adaptor from radio shack for $10

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If you cant figure it out get recharable batteries... once the swings gone they'll work in a mag light:p:

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd bet you could get a 6 volt adapter from radio shack and wire it in pretty simply (once you know how the batteries are connected).

But...Is it going to be safe to run a wire to it by the baby? I can't picture what you're talking about, so I have o clue how it might be set up.
    No chance of entanglement or teething on it or anything, right?

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Batteries?
    Hmmm What ever happened those good old fashioned baby swings that you cranked up by hand? They worked great, no batteries needed. Course i guess the wind up kind would be to difficult for people to cope with these days. better to spend money on batteries than expend valuable body motion that could be better used flapping jaws on a phone or remote control operation.

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Yep this will work. I have done this with other battery operated toys and such. If you have any trouble let me know and I will try to walk you through the process. But it sounds like you are on the right track.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

battery charger will work!...

hmm..4 "D" cells = 6 volts..so all you'd need to do is find the positive and negative terminals where the batteries connect,and you could use a 6V battery charger for the power source!...:D --a 6V AC adapter for a cordless tool might have enough amps to run it too,but I doubt one for a radio or other low amp device would be powerful enough..

I put a "boom box" in my truck when I first got it,because it had no radio..told my friend I was going to wire up a plug to where the batteries go,so I could run it off my 12V lighter socket..he said "that wont work,it'll FRY it!"...I didn't care about the boom box,so I did it..it used 6"D" cells,=9V..but it works perfect plugged into my ciggarette lighter,even the CD and cassette plays at the right speed!..been using it in many vehicles for 5 years now...F*** buying batteries!...:crazy:

11. Confedneck79K30

or better used sleeping i guess, but if you wanted to, you can come take care of my daughter while i sleep....

anyways, they're wired, im sure to be 6 volts, so ill just buy a 6v battery charger and use it, but are they able to sustain a load for 6 hours at a time? i mean it must take less amperage to charge a battery than it does to run an electric motor

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

works 4 me!

I've used my 10 amp charger to run an old GM blower motor behind my wood stove in my shop for years without any troubles..I use the 6v setting to make it run slower,too fast on 12V,it blows cold air!..:crazy:

13. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

just get a 120 vac to 6vdc adaptor at radio shack.