Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tech issue with my DD radio...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My 94 Intrepid's stock radio died yesterday after I gave someone a jump start. I checked the fuse, it's all good, shut off and restarted the car (can you tell I'm a Windows tech?), still no sign of life on it.
    So I figured I'd put in an old Kenwood head unit I had sitting around. This unit actually matches the cd changer that I have in the car and had been using with a modulator and remote (I liked the stock radio, ok??).

So I go get the wire harness kit, spend a little while watching tv and making nice little connections, then go out to the car to put it in.

So I turn the key on for kicks, and the stock radio comes on like nothing ever happened. It sat for about 36 hours since it died yesterday. I figure frig it, I have the Kenwood with the better CD controls and it should be a 5 minute swap, I'll just do it.

I pull the old, put in the new, and immediately notice when I plug in the power, the capstan on the cassette starts spinning, the faceplate not even on the unit yet. I turn on the ignition and put on the faceplate, and the display flashes quick, but doesn't come one. I start the car, and the tuner comes on. I switch to cd and can navigate through the changer, but the audio is way too low and steadily pulses in and out. The capstan is spinning this whole time.
    I shut the car off and go into accessory, and the tuner won't come back on.

To test the car, I plugged the stock radio back in, and it was back to showing no signs of life.
    All connections are good, according to my multimeter.

I wired the kenwood harness mostly by memory, but it does appear to follow the standard. Could there be wires not standard that I wired up wrong causing these freaky results?
    Should I consider the unit toast? It was perfect last time I used it (6 or 7 years ago)... Oh, I also tried a tape, and it wouldn't accept it, the carriage wouldn't lock it in. Could it think it already has a tape and that's what the problem is?

This sucks. This was supposed to be five minutes. And I just need a radio in the car for 10 minutes to get the traffic/weather/time tomorrow.

Well anyway, any ideas anyone?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I use the wire harness adaptors. Pretty fool proof and no cutting of wires.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I did use that...

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have Kenwoods in all my rigs. One is on its 5th vehicle and still going strong. Maybe your ign switch is going south on ya. When you have the time, jumper a hot wire to the red and yellow wires on the unit. The yellow is full time hot for the memory.I have small jumper cables rigged with alligator clips that I can hook straight to the battery and bypass the vehicle wiring. If all checks out that way, then time to start checking the vehicle wires. Does the cig lighter still work? If so, you might try pulling hot off it and see if the radio works then. Lotsa Luck, wiring can drive ya crazy. Oh yeah, does your Kenwood have the plug in blade fuse on the back? If it does, pull it out and replace or clean the blades on it, along with the slot it plugs into. If you want to make a jumper like I did, pick up some lamp cord (20ft), split the ends and attach alligator clips, then you're set.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GM radio??

I had a Blapunckt(however you spell IT?) radio that did the same thing after it got soaked in my van because the windsheild frame rotted badly right over the radio and while driving thru a torrential thunderstorm,it poured right on the radio faceplate!..it would do nothing but squeal on FM after that,though cassettes still played fine after it dried out..

I took it out and put in a cheap stereo I had..6 months later I'm cleaning my shop,and I find the old radio--I decided to hook it up to a battery and speakers to see if it was worth keeping..it played perfectly again! :doah: ...so I put it in my other truck,figuring whatever got wet had finally dried up,and I'd have no more problems--it worked great for about 30 minites..then the squealing piggy noise was back again!..It works perfect sitting still in the garage though!..I guess it just does not want to go for a ride anymore! :confused: :screwy:

Having a nice CD player/radio around here is bait for Crackheads--like asking to have your vehicle broken into and ripped off--you cant park anywhere around here for more than a few minites without some addict scoping your vehicle out for CD's or a decent radio,or whatever else they can grab fast and sell for drug money.. :mad:

.So both of my trucks now have a yard sale "boombox" that has an AM/FM radio,CD player,and cassette tape player all in one unit for an entertainment center!- I hang it off the ashtray by the handle,a bunjy cord keeps it in place--an alligator clip and a hunk of wire clips to my OEM antenna wire and the boomboxes antenna together--it actually come in pretty good,though not as good as a "real" car stereo on FM.. :laugh:

..I clipped two wires to the + and - terminals where the batteries go in it,and put a ciggarette lighter plug on the other end..I plug it in when I want music,news, or weather,and unplug it and hide it behind the seat or put it in the toolbox to keep it out of theives sight when its parked..!.(despite it being 9 volts,with 6"D" batteries,it plays fine on 12V,even when playing tapes! :laugh: )--and it sounds good too!.so far,nobody has tried to steal it,since its only worth 10 bucks.--when they see the "block off plate" in my dash,they assume my truck has NO radio,and they look for better pickings I guess :p: . :p: I'll probably never put nice CD player or radio in any of my vehicles again,since I can buy one the those boomboxes new for 25-30 bucks now. :crazy:

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This really irritates me. I hate going to do something barely important that I know should take no time and cost barely any money, and having it turn into something time and money consuming. Aka, a friggin project...

So I'm shopping ebay for another KRC-502 head unit. I'm pretty much thinking mine's toast.

Anyone have one they wanna sell cheap? :D :D

3otT, I will clean the fuse tonight. I checked out the power and it's all perfect. So perfect actually, that I was really surprised at how well conditioned it was. With the car running, constant and switched power both sit at a perfect 12.00 volts on my multimeter... All my GM's have always had at least a little fluctuation in tenths or hundredths.
    I don't remember if I jumpered it to the lighter or not, I definately thought about it, just can't remember if I did it...