Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tech needed... Suburban Tranny/TCase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, May 1, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Ok... so I'm getting this 1982 Burb with a 6.2L, 700R4/NP208 combo. The T-Case is bad, so I've been looking for a replacement. My boss and friends think I can't put my 465/208 combo in the burb, that I'm not mechanically enclined enough to do it... I beg to differ, but they don't listen real well. I don't have the extras that I need to do the 465 swap, like pedals and linkage, because I'm using the parts from my burned truck. I've read through the auto-manual swap tech, and I understand the process well enough.

What do you guys think? Spend $100+ on a t-case or spend $100+ on pedals and linkage to make it work with the 465? Please post more than an answer to my question... please tell me why you feel I should do either option.

By the way, the loss of overdrive will be compensated for by replacing the stock 29" tires with 32" BFG A/Ts, which should put me in almost the same gearing range in 4th gear. It has 3.73 gears and it's a half ton... the only modifications that will be required is driveshaft length changes and transmission tunnel replacement or cutting.

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

3.73 is plenty fine for the highway no problem at all

been there done it

many times

and 4.10 also

lots

4.55-4.57 isnt so good though

good luck

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that info, but I really need opinions on whether or not to attempt the manual swap on a Burb.... it seems to be few and far between that the swap actually happens with such a large vehicle, and the fact that no burbs ever came with a stick makes me hesitate.

I guess I just need the go-ahead from my boyz (and girlz) here on the site... (sorry about the ghetto speak y'all... )

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why not swap the input from the busted case into the 465 case and install that into the burb? if the input is busted, ive got a 27 spline input from a 208 ill ship you.

5. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not true, I'm going to get the hydro set-up
    from a Burb next week. :D
    As far as the swap it wouldn't be any different than doing it in a blazer or in a
    truck,so if ya want a manual go for it,if ya
    want to stay with an auto just swap the input
    like ryan22re said to the unbroken 208 that you already have and your back in business

6. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I had a 'burban with a stick - and yes, it was a factory installed setup.