Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tech Specs for Trucks, Axles, Ect.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by DusterRT, Oct 5, 2002.

1. DusterRT

DusterRT Registered Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've been looking around without much luck looking for some specs as far as like wheel mounting surface to mounting surface measurements for front and rear axles. At the NHTSA website I found some specs for my truck, saying 63.4" for the front of a '98 C-1500 (same as '91??). The only other full-size vehicle with a SFA was a '91 Dodge (67.3"). Thing is I'm not sure if this is WMS to WMS or not. For my conversion I'd like something that would give me a little extra width front and rear but I don't want 7" of tire sticking out each side. Anywhere were I could find specs like this for different axles for different vehicles? I'm going with a 44 up front but the rear is still TBD. Thanks guys,

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dec 24, 2000
    Well first of all a c1500 is a 2wd, which from the factory has a narrower front wheel track width than a k1500, which is 4wd. Now, stock on the 4wd's, the front is about 1-2" wider than the rear. I just finished my sfa swap recently using a ford hp dana 60 front and it is about 2.5" wider than my stock 14 bolt ff rear axle. Just by looking at the truck you can't really tell unless you look straight down the body line and you can see that the rear tires don't take up quite as much cut-out flare.