Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Techie guys.............question about wireless access?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by BurbinOR, Feb 20, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guys,

Got a new Dell laptop, came with a wireless card. Haven't installed the card yet but have a couple of questions.

I don't have a wireless setup at home, this is intended for travel for work when I'm at airports, Starbucks, etc. Do you have to have a wireless account per se (one you are paying $$ for) or can you hook up as needed to the 'free' ones that hotels and airports offer?

Any input would be appreciated.......... /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Guys,

Got a new Dell laptop, came with a wireless card. Haven't installed the card yet but have a couple of questions.

I don't have a wireless setup at home, this is intended for travel for work when I'm at airports, Starbucks, etc. Do you have to have a wireless account per se (one you are paying $$ for) or can you hook up as needed to the 'free' ones that hotels and airports offer?

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be able to find a free access point in Hotels or Airports that you can connect to. Many places will allow access for a small fee.

I can get to 11 different access points from my desk at work (none of them located at my company) and I can easily get to the internet through 6 of them.

For all intents and purposes you could think of that wireless card the same way that you think of a wired network card: If it can connect to a network that allows access and provides resources (IP address and DNS) then you are all set.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what happened to your old laptop? i wouldn't mind an older CHEAP laptop /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what happened to your old laptop? i wouldn't mind an older CHEAP laptop /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My company supplies the laptops to me, when we upgrade they get the old one back.........unfortunately. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How much $$ you want to spend? I'll ask my IT guy if he wants to sell. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif They're all well set up Dell's with loads of RAM and DVD, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i really only need one to upload pics off my new camcorder and maybe upload some video to it when I'm out wheeling so it don't need to be that good of one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if you could find out how much he would sell a basic one for i have all the software the most important thing for me is hard drive room /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif id appreciate it oh and the cheaper the better /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Guys,

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be able to find a free access point in Hotels or Airports that you can connect to. Many places will allow access for a small fee.

I can get to 11 different access points from my desk at work (none of them located at my company) and I can easily get to the internet through 6 of them.

For all intents and purposes you could think of that wireless card the same way that you think of a wired ntework card: If it can connect to a network that allows access and provides resources (IP address and DNS) then you are all set.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have access to these wireless points at work, are you also connected hard-wire to a 10/100 cable? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Frank, I would like to explain this but read here and maybe this will be of some help.

Linksys

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Frank, I would like to explain this but read here and maybe this will be of some help.

Linksys

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chris, very helpful info. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When you have access to these wireless points at work, are you also connected hard-wire to a 10/100 cable? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, it depends on which machine I'm using but it doesn't really matter when it comes to connecting via wireless. If you can make a connection to a wireless access point that will provide you with an IP address and DNS (name resolution) then you would have the equivalent of a hard wired cable connected to that network .... it's just a little slower.

Get yourself a copy of Netstumber and you can find access points almost anywhere.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif