Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Technical Library forum?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Mar 4, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm thinking about starting a new catagory: Technical Library
    Where there would be four new forums:
    Suspension systems lift kits, coils, springs, etc..
    Fuel delivery carbs, fuel injection, propain etc..
    Restoration

I want this to be the place where all the good posts go to keep the chit chat out so it will be easier to find things.
    I'm thinking maybe everyone can see it but only members can post there to help keep it on track, not sure yet but open for ideas, what do you think?
    Chasis - axle swaps etc..

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds pretty good dude.:)

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i like it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif so what you are saying is insted of sending you a wrightup we would just post it there? because i am doing one right now to send you on putting a dodge dana 60 into a chevy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif so would i send it to you or post it in the new forums?

4. CK5

You would still send the tech articles in so I could put them on the tech page, but maybe we could put them in the library first, that way we could look at them righ away. Right now I have like five tech articles to put up and it is taking me forever do to all the server issues that I have been dealing with but I will get them up and keep sending them. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

would you want the dodge to chevy dana 60 one?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I like it. There have been some great posts on repairs. Like Big Burbs loose tilt steering repair. Good place to archive those outstanding posts. Then purge this forum after so many weeks to keep the storage space under control.
    How out of control is the Forsale forum? The way I look at it is after about 4 weeks the post should purge if it's inactive. Not much sence in keep it longer than that if the post is inative. Either it sold or the seller has not made an attempt to keep it up front.
    So you talking a read only deal where the post is locked? Moderator has to move the post there?

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds good.
    Maybe a "How To" forum, such as "Fix It How To", "Mods How To", or "Custom How To".
    Maybe to help keep down the tech section traffic.
    Or somethin.....I dont know. Just kickin around an idea or two.
    Talkin to hear myself talk, haha.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If it were done correctly, and well maintained, it would be nice to be able to just go to a forum for a specific component (drive train, suspension, axles, whatever) and search/post appropriately. I think the number would need to be kept low to reduce confusion, and there are still going to be overlaps where your not sure where to post (especially for newbies). It really seems like it would be more complexity and more stuff to keep up with than it would be worth. I don't know.

I personally think a simpler setup similar to what they do over on PBB would be good. Maybe you could just make a "4x4 chit-chat" forum? Then keep the existing boards as "tech" only boards. IMHO, the real problem here is that anyone who has anything even vaguely 4x4 related will post in the tech section rather than the forum called "non-4x4". Their excuse (when given) is always along the lines of "well I mentioned a 4x4". Things like "How old were you", and "Look at this new ??? prototype", or "Look at what I saw on Ebay" (ridiculous posers generally), would be forced into 4x4 chit-chat by the moderators. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the people who want to talk about that stuff but, seeing those posts accumulating 4+ pages of replies and always staying on top, bumping off requests for help, info, etc. gets a little old. This would give the people who want to participate in such drivel, er, I mean "discussion", a place to go (other than the place I often feel like telling some of them to go). {Hehe, sorry, I guess it's "one of THOSE days" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif} Generally I just ignore them and refuse to contribute to them staying on top but, it gets old seeing them again and again. Anyway, offenders could be sent a message by the moderator and their posts moved to the chit-chat board. Repeat offenders (apparently relying on the moderator to post appropriately) could be simply deleted. Typing it in again or loosing it should convince even the most stubborn. Just make it a policy that, unless it is CLEARLY tech, it goes in chit-chat. I think that (at least where I would draw the line) would reduce the number of posts on the main board by 30%+.

Maybe I'm just a hard ass but, unless something better is suggested, that's what I would do. That way there is only one "tech board", and the maintenance overhead is much lower.

9. BadDog

Oops, forgot you said limited access, so, that mostly takes care of my "newbie" concern. I still like the idea of having a place all those fluff posts could be put...

10. CK5

That is the other option I'm looking at as well, we are growing at a alarming rate so I thought it might be good to break the tech boards up a little and only allow members to post to help keep the chit chat out. What does everyone think?

11. BadDog

I'm all for ANYTHING to reduce the chit chat. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Your idea sounds fine (great in fact) in theory, I just don't know about the maintenance thing. I do think that whatever you do, whether you put in the multiple categories or chit-chat or whatever, you (or any moderator) needs to be ruthless in pruning the garbage on the tech boards. Just being a member doesn't guarantee that a person will follow the rules or care. Just like raising children, you have to establish the boundaries and hold them, because they will test them...

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds good to me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Btw, I have an article to send you...wrote it and all, just need to edit it and stuff.....
    Boss

13. CK5

Thank's Boss, I hav a few more that have to get up as well, Grim sent me one on how to pack a family of 17 into a K5. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I like the idea. I can see what you are talking about with the site growing. Just yesterday I saw 3 new names join in just a couple hours. The new features are nice. Thanks and keep up the good work on the site Steve. I also hope all is well with your son now.

15. CK5

Yeah, I like the new option of displaying the newest member, we are averaging 10 new members a day, thats 3,650 posible new members that will register this year, so you can see the growth track that we are on.

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

In less then 30 minutes today there were 2 names added./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Don't make it members only... Some of us are too poor to get membership and won't be able to contribute to those forums... Or if a blue guy has a question and doesn't have an orange friend, he's gonna run away or something....

18. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Membership has it's privilages /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

membership does have its privalges but...........

20. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

From Blazer4x4...
    "Sounds good.
    Maybe a "How To" forum, such as "Fix It How To", "Mods How To", or "Custom How To".
    Maybe to help keep down the tech section traffic.
    Or somethin.....I dont know. Just kickin around an idea or two."

My 2 cents...
    This is a great idea and perhaps include some GOOD photos of whats being repaired instead of having to make a post and ask- "Now who has pictures of what this article is talking about." And then you're off hunting down decent pictures. It could be an 'all in one' kind of place for sound info and good pics.