Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

technical question on tires!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheAustrian, Feb 20, 2007.

1. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

I've got a technical question on a Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tire. From what I know, they are bias belted. Means reinforced, tough and can withstand even hardest treatment. But, does such a tire withstand lets say, a squeezed or compressed condition for about 6 or 7 weeks? Or will the tire simply be damaged.

2. mjnemmer

mjnemmer Registered Member

a bias ply tie will have a flat spot in it when parked for a long time but as soon as u worm up the tire(drive about 10= miles) it will go away. flat spots will also show if parked when tires are worm and on a cold night. simply drive it and the flat spot should go away and u can still safly drive it on the road

3. TheAustrian

what is the purpose the of the bias ply and why it will have a flat spot after some time?

Beside this fact, will it damage the tire when it will be squeezed, bend or compressed?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

bias tires have belts going from side to side. Makes them give really well offroad, but they are suseptable to flatspots then.

Radial tires have belts running radially along the tire. Helps keep the round shape. (there is a lot more science to belts that I don't know or want to go spouting off though)

Bias tires are one of the earlier designs. They didn't just come around, they were around LONG before Radial tires. For offroading they make sense because they are tough and conform to rocks and trails well and still return to their original shape.

5. TheAustrian

I see, they are diagonal belted (as we call it here). I didn't know they are not radials.

But beside this, still I does not know....does anybody know if I can do some compressing or squeezing abuse to them for transportation reasons for example??

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

yes you can compress them. they will be fine. Jeeps that run large tires here and carry a spare "square spare" meaning they deflate the tire and compress it with a ratchet strap to make it fit on a tire carrier on the back

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A friend of mine has bias swampers on his jeep that live in a crushed condition. they leak because they are old and dry rotted. he airs them up to wheel it and they hold air for days. I'm thinking the tire will survive the trip, the question is if I can make it small enough.

here is what we need to accomplish. The U.S. post office has a messed up way of measuring things. They will not ship a loose tire. It must be boxed. The total dimensions of the box can't exceed 109 inches. the problem is they use length + girth. Girth is measured all the way around. so if you were measuring the girth dimension it would be width+height+width+height. all that plus length gives you the total.

this tire is just over 34" tall and 14" wide. thats a USPS total of 130".:mad:

tire.jpg

8. resurrected_jimmy

fold it in half, it will live

9. gmc4cw

thats one of the things I was thinking of doing. It takes a long time to get to Austria though.

10. TheAustrian

all right, so the important guys are in talk already :-) I really did not expect we can do that abuse to a tire, but if you say it will live then I believe. The shipment to Austria will be about 6 weeks. If it does not matter, this may be the right way to go. If the ratchet strap can fold the tire into half, I think USPS will accept? We have here the same calculation of size. Guess it is same anywhere.

gmc4cw do ya think you can fold it the right way???

Just got the shipping quotation for the sea freight...guess.
    It is near twice of air freight *lol* crazy isn't it?

11. resurrected_jimmy

I would try using two straps first and turning it into a square and then one around the circumference to squeeze in on it and if that doesn't make it small enough then I'd go for folding it in half

12. TheAustrian

This way?

[​IMG]

13. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Diagonal belted tires are probably radials. If you are interested in the difference between bias and radial tires, read here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/PR-TSLs

14. TheAustrian

well, we distinguish radials and diagonals. We actually do not know bias tires. But I will check out your link, looks to be a great tech page.

15. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

I think if you folded it like this it would ruin the beads, wouldn't it?

Good luck,
    Mike

16. TheAustrian

that drawing was just my understanding, I maybe wrong. But I think you guys know whats possible to do.

17. gmc4cw

I understand what ressurected_jimmy is talking about. its actually a pretty good idea.

18. TheAustrian

thats fine, its not important that I understand when you understand it ;)

19. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

When you get it to Austria put it (the tire) out in the sun and it will grow.

Mike

20. TheAustrian

as for packing (usps requirement) maybe it is enough to wrap it with foil or somehting very thin material which does make the package not large as the tire actually measures... just an idea...