Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Technical service bulletins

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Panther, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hi guys. What is the deal with TSB's /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ? Does the company or the dealer have any "liability" regarding items under TSB?

Does it just provide the mechanics with a guideline on how to fix it properly (unlike the way it was put together the first time)? Or should the dealer make those repairs free of charge? And what about new parts associated with the repair?

Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does it just provide the mechanics with a guideline on how to fix it properly

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If the vehicle is under warranty and you take it to the dealer with said complaint, (you being unaware of the TSB.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) They will fix the vehicle free of charge.

However, if the vehicle is out of warranty, you are out of luck.. You can use the TSB as a guideline to fix something though.

I had to do this on my Impala SS. Out of warranty, but the TSB was very helpful in diagnosing and fixing said problem.

Hope it helps.

John

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks John. The car in question (my Mom's) has the extended warranty, but I'm not sure what it covers. Anyway, at least it seems the GM techlink page has some info so at least maybe they'll fix it right this time.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

some tsb's can be covered after your warranty has expired...as not ALL vehicles are affected, but some are...whats the problem and the tsb you have for what kind of vehicle??

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

The TSB is
    00-05-23-002B MAR 03 Brakes - Front Disc Brake Pulsation

for a 2001 Malibu. Like I said, it does have the GM extended warranty but I'm not sure of the particulars of that plan.

She just had the pads replaced and the rotors turned less than 10,000 miles ago so under normal wear they should not have to be replaced. Honestly they shouldn't have been replaced then either. The brakes are pulsating very badly so something needs to be done with them. I'm trying to arm my Mom with as much info as possible in the hope she's not going to get jerked around by the dealer and that she can get them fixed correctly this time.

Thanks for the help guys!!

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The agreement between the buyer and the seller [/i]is[/i] that the manufacture will cover defects in workmanship, quality and so-forth, for the term of the warranty period.
    That is point blank.

It does not say: "for-ever", or "just because", or "due to known defects" or anything else.
    The terms of the agreement are well written and to be understood - before any purchase has taken place.

That said,
    G.M. does not want an un-happy customer. The lines, are drawn in sand, not concrete.

Malibu brake pulsations are a common concern, most likly due to improperly torqued lug-nuts. Is that, G.M.'s fault ?
    Hardly, they have no control over the guy behind the trigger, and therefore can not be held accountable.
    But...
    The Malibu seems to be un-usualy sensitive to the condition, and in "good-faith", G.M. has been known to cover brake rotor replacements.
    If, your Malibu is "on the line", you might beable to "convince" (bitch and whine) the dealer into covering a portion of the repair costs - but, understand that they do not have to (be humble).

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The terms of the agreement are well written and to be understood - before any purchase has taken place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking for a handout here, I'm just asking about the ramifications of an item being under a TSB. Thank you for a definition of contracts and warranties though.

[ QUOTE ]

Malibu brake pulsations are a common concern, most likly due to improperly torqued lug-nuts. Is that, G.M.'s fault ?
    Hardly, they have no control over the guy behind the trigger, and therefore can not be held accountable.
    But...
    The Malibu seems to be un-usualy sensitive to the condition, and in "good-faith", G.M. has been known to cover brake rotor replacements.
    If, your Malibu is "on the line", you might beable to "convince" (bitch and whine) the dealer into covering a portion of the repair costs - but, understand that they do not have to (be humble).

[/ QUOTE ]

My research indicates caliper movement as the cause of the uneven rotor wear. That would be a "defect".

Regardless, if the shop were doing something to cause a problem, the shop (dealer in this case) should cover it. If a mechanic doesn't correctly torque a head bolt, it's not your fault when your motor's dumping coolant into your cylinder. Whether the bolt or nut is in the cylinder head or on a lug, it should be properly torqued.