Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Technical ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Veefour, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Veefour

Veefour Registered Member

I know there are probably 50 million different possible answers to the following question, but I'm going to ask anyway.
    What causes an engine to be "Cold Natured" or hard to start when its cold.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First thought would be improper choke operation, if carberated...

Speaking of, you really should give some info when asking questions, motor, year, etc...

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There are many variables, along with a few different fuel systems. The possibilities are endless, would take WAY too long to address in a general thread like this, and might not end up helping you solve your issues.

Like ryoken said, give us some more info about your truck and your symptoms and we'll see what we can come up with. I personally have some experience with this kind of thing- it's -24' Celcius here right now...........:doah:

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats like trying to explain why women are cold blooded:D Somethings will never be explained:haha: :haha: :haha:

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

That's funny.

Have you ever been around a fleet of vehicles? Some engines are cold blooded beasts until they warm up, while others run like crazy regardless of hot or cold startup. No rhyme or reason...

Was it built on Friday right before quiting time? That 0.005" tolerance on the flux capacitor may have been "close enough at 0.750" right before quiting time.

6. Veefour

flux capacitor is well within tolerance. I read the site FAQ and posting guidelines, so that was the first thing I checked. :)
    Sorry for the lack of info, and generalized question. My truck is an 85, 305 with Edlebrock performer carb. Supposedly it has an auto choke, but I fear it doesn't work. I think the floats need adjustment because its running super rich. I bought a Holly (I've always liked them better anyway) but I need to buy a rebuild kit for it before it can go in the truck. So, incidentally I'll have an Edlebrock Carb to post in the for sale section soon. I considered a TBI switch, but thats a bit more involved than I'm ready to get and with a new baby a bit more expensive than just changing carbs.
    As you can tell, I have other more pressing carb issues to resolve before trying to diagnose a cold start problem, I was just looking for some general information.

7. Can Can

If it's running "super rich", your problem could very well be choke related. Add the hard start to the issue, and I'm inclined to say that your choke is sticking in the closed position.

Could you better describe your cold start problem? Is the engine not catching? Is is catching but having a problem reaching high idle? Is it blowing a lot of black smoke at start up? Are you setting your high idle and choke by pressing down the gas pedal once before you turn the key?

Have you taken off the aircleaner lid and watched what your choke plate is doing during said hard cold starts?

8. Veefour

Yes
    Not yet, but plan to this weekend when I have an extra person to help.

A better explaination of my problem is my engine will start, but it takes quite a bit of starter work on cold mornings and it always cuts off at least 3 times before it remains running.
    As I said before, I really think my specific issue will be resolved when I replace the carb. If not, we can re-visit the issue then.
    I do thank all of you for the replies though.

9. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

just from my observations i think the fact that its a 305 has somthing to do with it both 305s in my truck (stock, 84 transam) take a long time to warm up and seam to run cool the only time my truck has run hot was when it blew a radator hose and this truck has towed way more than it should have

10. Can Can

Okeedokee. Let us know what happens with the new carb, brother.