Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Technicians, what do you do about deductions come tax time?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 29, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have had this discussion with a few other techs and haven't come up with what I should do yet. Namely, I have been told I can either deduct what I have paid on my tools, or what I have actually purchased. Now the amount I have actually purchased is about 50% of my pay for last year. Thats a lot to deduct. I have been told however, whatever I do is what I have to continue doing. So next year I would have to deduct only what I purchased for the year. I am sure I will be purchasing another large amount of stuff next year(need a new toolbox very soon, and still don't have half the stuff I need on a weekly basis). So what do you guys do come deduction time?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

when I was a tech, I depreciated the expensive stuff(250.00 and over) over several years, 5, I think, and everything I bought I wrote off as expenses. That included my uniform bill, belts or shoes that were work only, tools, etc.
    I used the amount of the tool price, not what I was paying on my account.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I claim what I lay out... Not the overall purchase...

4. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

Run it both ways. Generally speaking you will be better off depreciating over 5 years, especially if it was half your income. Each item is what is depreciated. So if you need more this year take a chunk for several tools and then depreciate the rest.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I claimed what I paid that year. The tool man(men depending on how many different tools you buy) should be able to give you a receipt based on what you paid them over the year.

I also deducted boots, sock, uniforms, belts gloves and so-on. I've always had my taxes done by a professional. Keep the receipts and you won't have to worry about getting audited. If you do, most tax companies have audit insurance or protection.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

We have yet to discuss it with the accountant, his input will be taken rather largely. I have all receipts for the past year, already got my tax slips from the different tool guys. I don't have any for boots and stuff like that, never thought about it until it was too late.

7. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Only one year did i deduct my tools, boots, travel expense. But I came out the same % the next with a basic return. I don't bother anymore, but now i just have the company pay for half my tools for the year, and milage for call-in's. You should talk to your accountant about it though. It is different for everyone.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I just tell my tax guy what I spent for the year, and he figures it out.

I haven't spent 50% of my annual income for tools though, so that probably makes a big difference in how much to claim. Best I can tell ya...