Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

technicians - which tool box would you get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Chris, Oct 29, 2005.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

which box would you get? this is for professional every-day use, not weekend garage use. ignore the listed prices on the website, thats not what i'll be paying.

option a: 53" 11 drawer KRA5213

option b: 53" 19 drawer KRA5319 ($100 more than option a)

with either box above (options a or b), i could add the 8 drawer KRA5208 in the future, but that will not be purchased now with the bottom box.

option c: 40" 7 drawer KRA4107 bottom box with either 4 drawer KRA4114 OR 8 drawer KRA4801 top chest
    (combo is ~$250 more than option a)

option d: 40" 13 drawer KRA4813 bottom box with either 4 drawer KRA4114 OR 8 drawer KRA4801 top chest
    (combo is ~$300 more than option a)

please give me reasons as to why youd choose it. do you prefer less-longer drawers, or more-shorter drawers?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would choose option A. It is nice having the wider drawers and you can always add side cabinets if you need more space.

Just a suggestion, why not look at Mac boxes, same quality but half the price.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you will find you might want one big master drawer on top. i have the master set of pry bars from snap on and need the master drawer to fit the big one in to it. and also other things like long breaker bars and serp belt tools .

best money ever spent on quality boxes . also take good good care of them and thay will hold good trade in value if you evenr want bigger.

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    any snapon is good enough too make me happy... Larger is better, we have a wall unit snapon box.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

this is what i would buy. (in a different color of course)

[​IMG]

im just not impressed with the snap on boxes. the drawers just dont feel as heavy as other boxes and the matcos offer custom building options in the 7525 series (on the box pictured and other sizes too). i have the box pictured, but black with chrome trim, with a hutch and door on top.

the short side drawers are customizeable with as little as 4 drawers or as much as 7. the long side drawers are avail. with between 4 and 6 drawers. mine came customized with 6 drawers on the left and 7 on the right. and my name stamped into an emblem on the front.

ryan

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

go with a Mac box. better than Matco when it comes to durability, probably about even with Snap On in quality while half the price. with that said, i've got a Snap On, and my dad has a Mac sitting right next to it in the garage.

having more shorter drawers can be nice, if you have alot of small tools. personally, in my Snap On with short drawers i have a rather large assortment of air tools, large wrenches, pry bars, lots of big stuff. the drawers suck for that. my dad's Mac would've fit my purpose better.

7. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

k i have a serrious question, it may be dumb but i really wanna know

why are these tool boxes so expensive? are they hand made? is it the material their made out of? are they close to indestructible

its always bothered me and i guess i finnaly want a answer, sorry for the hijack

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

quality and warranty.

my Snap On, i can stand in the bottom drawer, and it actually gets easier top open and close. also, since i bought a Snap On, i have a toolbox for life. all of the drawer guides, lock mechanisms, etc are all covered for life. my buddy Chet has a Snap On box that is probably almost 30 years old, the drawer guides were all just replaced under warranty.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The simple answer.... Because people will pay it.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Before you shell out that kind of cash......think about something.....Why do you need a "new" box? Typically you can save thousands off the price if you go used. Are you buying it for pretty, or are you buying it to hold tools? Yes I know a new box is sweet, but a good cleaning can do wonders for an old box. I am not saying go to a garage sale. Ask your tool guys if they have any used stuff. Many times one tool guy will have access to many different brands of used boxes.

Any to your question about arrangements. Roller bearing drawers is a must. IMO the deeper the drawer, the better. A 30" deep box takes up no more wall space and will hold more tools. I prefer a huge top drawer in a bottom box, full width.
    As far as brands go, Any of the Mac, snap-on, matco, even cornwell, are all good enough. The layout is more important than the manufacturer.

SOOO, to wrap up: Get a deep used box for alot less and because the toolguy is making alot of money, get him to throw in a bunch of swag with the purchase. And don't forget to haggle with the toolguys, put them up against each other and make them fight for your money.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

check this thread over on pirate about this very topic... half way down the page is a pic of the sweeeet stainless boxes you can get at Sam's Club / Costco...

linky

...personally, one of those stainless $600-700 boxes would be all I'd ever even want. The warranty, personally, isn't worth it... I could get 3-4 of the "cheap" stainless ones... leave all but one in the original box and just unwrap them when the first one starts to go to poop on me and STILL spend less money than the super $pendy snap on one. Unless you plan on passing the toolbox down 2-3 generations in your family or something, I wouldn't worry about it. Treat a decent box well and it'll last a lifetime.

j

12. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

ive seen that stainless one at sam's, and it's pretty nice, if i was buying it for my personal use in my garage, i'd definately get that one. but, when your tools and your box make all of your money, you want to make an investment on good stuff. without your tools, their organization, and safety, you can not make any money at all. theres no reason to spend that much money for a garage box that gets used once a week, but for one that gets used all day everyday, and is used to store, organize, and keep safe a very very expensive tool collection, you dont wanna skimp.
    that having being said, i said ignore the prices listed on the website. with my discount, i can get all of the boxes i listed for about half their list price. the one i've been eyeing (kra5213) is about 1400. you cant even come close to that with matco, mac, even craftsman professional cant touch that. i have looked at mac and matco, but with the discount, its hard not to buy the snap off. ive pretty much had my mind up on the 5213, but wanted to see what your opinions were. only problem is, my discount doesnt include the 53" top box which is $2k, so the top box would eventually cost me significantly more than the bottom box. a full-length drawer would be nice, and i hadnt thought about that..... i can always get the top chest which had the top bulk storage thats full length for long ass stuff.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  13. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

which snap on box do you have?

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

53" is a lot of box to move from truck to truck. 40" is about the max, I think. I move my 40" Craftsman truck to truck, but think of all the stress you are creating moving 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. of tools around. If you are gonna get a 53" box, I'd get it but park it and buy a good roll around cart for the stuff you use most often.

What are you storing exactly? Do you have prybars that are 3' long? If you have long things like that you need at least one full width drawer.

This is what I have:

My box

I've got a drawer for everything in here. SAE wrenches, Metric wrenches, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", punches and drivers, specialty sockets and impact sockets, air tools, drills and buzz gun and bits, electrical, adjustable wrenches, pliers, pry bars and heel bars, chrome sockets in 3/8" in one drawer, 1/2" in another, picks and files, storage for freightliner recall updates and other needed papers, rags and fluids.........everything. I actually don't have a full-width drawer but I sure would like one, so I'm getting me that 1 drawer intermediate box for $249. Locker for it is just over $500.

All depends on your function...but if it were me with my tools... I'd get :

The KRA4813D for the bottom with the KRA4114D for the top. My buddy here at work has that box, and it's a nice box. It has less cubic inch storage than my box, but it is a nice box. The full width drawers are nice, and you get the bottom with multiple drawers. If you get all full width drawers, you're stuff can get mixed up easily.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I always thought the same thing when I was in the Grunts. I bought a $250 pair of Danner boots when I was in infantry school. The reasoning at the time was "being on my feet in the **** is part of my job, I neeeeed good boots". I ended up wearing my boot-camp-issued jungle boots most of the time... just because they were more cozy and kept my feet cooler. lol! I understand that mechanics need a good place to put their tools... but I don't see the need for the ability to, for example, stand on the drawers when open. Thats just a little silly. Seems like a paying 2x as much for a similar sized, similar # of drawers box doesn't make too much sense. I know the snapon ones are supposed to be harder to steal or whatever... but this is sort of like vehicle theft deterance, there really isn't anything mechanical you can do that will stop a professional theif. A torch can cut any metal or lock... a winch can yank anything up onto a trailer... with enough time a locksmith can open any lock. Way I figure, I could buy the stainless one for $700... and then spend $500 on figuring out how to many it theif resistant and still be $200 ahead.

j

16. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I was talking to my uncle's Matco guy and he told that the new snap on boxes aren't worth the money. They used to test their boxs by standing on the drawer and they would be fine, now with the new snap-on boxes the stand in test isnt working so well. He says the new matco boxes are holding up better then the snap-on, even claims they have a video of the snap-on guys breaking their boxes. Just by taking my new snap-on tools and comparing them to my uncle old tools, the quality isnt there. The broching(sp?) isnt as good as it used to be. I would save some money and stay away from the snap-on boxes.

17. 89GMCSuburban

BTW, I would compare the KRA series with a ball bearing Craftsman. The professional series is more comparable to a KRL when you look at the slides and drawer construction combined with load ability. My buddies KRA drawers feel the exact same as my ball bearing ones.

18. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i really dont like the craftsman boxes, they just feel really cheap to me, and dont seem like theyd last that long. then the professional ones are quite expensive, ya might as well go with matco or mac. i dont want this to turn into a snap on is overpriced thread...... thats not my point. i wouldn't pay 3 grand for a bottom box, that is a little much, but if i got it for half that, and the price would be about the same or a little less than mac or matco, why not. $1500 is not bad at all for a toolbox that im going to use to make money every day for the next 30 years.

19. 89GMCSuburban

It all comes down to personal opinion. I like my Craftsman because, to me, it feels the same as my buddies KRA. He loves his KRA, so go ahead and check out the set up I listed from your snap-on choices. You hopped on a truck and tried out a KRA series yet?

The problem with Mac or Matco is the odds of seeing a guy come to your shop. Every shop I've been to has a Snap-on guy that shows up. Matco is iffy along with Mac. Actually, Mac has gotten hard to find. Let that play into your mind. Buy a Mac and when you go to a shop, you may not have a Mac guy, so how will you get your stuff fixed?

20. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

yeah ive used a kra box, and ive checked out the craftsman boxes in sears, and in my opinon, the craftsman just didnt seem very durable. the professional series definately seems quite a bit better, but its just priced kinda high.

im not partial to any brand, i buy my tools from whoever, it makes no difference to me as long as it gets the job done, and lasts a long time.