Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teeth on flexplate are worn....what are my options?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike in NYC, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Mike in NYC

Mike in NYC Newbie

Hey guys-

I have an '88 K5 with a TH700R4. The teeth on the flexplate are worn, causing the starter to slip. Are there any "temporary" options other than dropping the trans completely to change it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Mike P

2. Mike in NYC

Mike in NYC Newbie

Did a search, got the answers I needed....THanks!

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You need to change the flex plate asap or along with a bad flex plate, you will have a bad starter. You do not have to drop the tranny to remove the flexplate.

To replace the flexplate with the transmission in place you will need a floor jack, a helper, a a couple of 6" long bolts the same size as those in the bottom of you transmission. Remove the inspection cover on the trans,remove the bottom bolts and replace with the long bolts, remove the rest of the bolts on the trans, unbolt the transfer case and remove the driveshafts. Carefully slide the trans back enough to get a ratchet in to remove the bolts from the flexplate, replace the flexplate and put it back together. It is a fairly simple operation.

4. Mike in NYC

Mike in NYC Newbie

Thanks, Derf! That's exactly what I did. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But now I have a problem. The new starter won't crank unless I jump it directly from the battery+. Turning the ignition key does nothing. As far as I can tell, there are three leads down there. Two go to the main post of the starter, and one goes to the small key post. If I jump the key post, it will crank. If not, nothing. What the heck did I do wrong?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Mike P

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

if when you jump the small post it cranks over you have a prob with the wire going to the post. check your fuses and such. im assuming you have the small starter wire on the same post you jumped.....

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

make sure you did not connect solenoid wire to the R terminal on the solenoid, there are two small posts on solenoid and one is R and one is S and R does not get a wire, and the S gets the purple small end wire! ppl mix these posts up all the time and the starter and solenoid will do nothing when you crank key if you got it on wrong post