Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teething Questions For The Parents Here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mosesburb, Jan 25, 2005.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So my boy is getting more teeth now. Unfortunately, he gets his teeth four at a time and his is quite miserable because of it. Hours of hollaring and crying and nothing we do seems to have any effect on him (normally he is a very peaceful little guy). We use Orajel (may as well be a placebo), Tylenol, or Advil (not all at the same time), but nothing seems to help.
    So I am wondering, what have you used on your little ones when they were sprouting teeth??

ANY(!!) suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

My mom use to rub whiskey on my gums with her finger. I don't know if it took the pain away or put me in lala land, but she swears by it. Hmmm, maybe that explains why I like alcohol. :thinking:

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Teething Tablets. They have them at Wal-Mart, and they work like majic.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Keep a supply of spoons in the fridge,try putting that in their mouth , it worked on all my kids most of the time. The other times, cheap whiskey and a Q tip.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let the wee'un chew on a cold wet washcloth. I think the coarsness helps toughen the gums and speed up the process.

Save the Whiskey for you :grin:

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We did what Dave did with both our kids. Our oldest daughter was getting teeth 3 and 4 at a time too and was happiest with a cool wet wash cloth in her mouth to chew on. A teething kid is a lot like a puppy...they need something to chew on or they go crazy. :)

Orogel is useless as you already found out.

Rene

8. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

My boy (14-mo) is going through the same thing. Teething tablets and a cold wash cloth work great for us.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I was starting to think I was the only one that has ever heard of teething tablets. I don't have any kids, but I had a girlfriend who did, and it's crazy how well the tablets work.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

I would use a teething ring out of the fridge, and I-bprophein. defitently not whiskey! - whiskey does not numb the gums, it numbs the baby (by making them drunk) Also - whiskey or any swill is hard on their little tummys. So - you have to have alot of patience and let nature go through the process of sprouting new teeth.
    Boggerless' wife alrighty then,the wife took over,:) lots o hugs i says.:dunno: :dunno: :doah: :doah:

11. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Great info!! Got some good ideas here. I have forgotten some of the things we have tried already, but there are a few we haven't tried yet.

Teething tablets. Do these work as such: Flip one in his mouth, he chews it up, all is better?? I don't think I have heard of these before.

Whiskey/Brandy. I am trying to avoid this as he inherited my innards and can projectile vomit at a moments notice (if we're lucky enough to get a moments notice), so I'd like to avoid something harsh like this until all else fails.

Teething rings. No dice on these. They become projectiles to harass the dogs with.

Cold washcloth. I *think* we tried this to no avail. Might be worth another try though.

Cold spoon. Hmmm, I think he'd like this whether it works or not.

I had a long time customer come in on Saturday (long time as in I remember him from when he had no kids and his oldest is graduating high school this year), and he said, "If adults had to go through teething there would be a thousand products on the market for it."
    I think he is very correct with that statement.

Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I'm definitely going to give a few of them a shot.

Years ago, bloodshot eyes were the sign of a good time, now they have become the sign of a miserable evening.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i think i might get flamed but there is a natural thing you can get your self, that will work well.

find some cat tails, ( or called a bullrush)

and pull apart the leaves near the base where they over lap.
    you will find a clear slimy substance, it is a natural topical pain killer(mild)

rub that on his gums and see,one of the outdoors books this is mentioned in the uy had a tooth extracted at the dentist useing this in stead of novacain, or what ever.