Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teflon leaf spring inserts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Jan 7, 2004.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw someone on this site had some of these thin inserts between his leaf springs. This person had them the whole length of each leaf in the pack.
    Where can I find these and do they come in a roll or what?

Info please. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Someone a few years back said that they got the material at a wood working supply shop. I guess it is used on stuff like tabel saws and such to help make the parts slide better. From what I remember it comes in diffrent lengths and widths and thicknes.
    Hope this helps.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

A couple of us have used UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) between the leafs. Teflon will cold-flow and the UHMWPE is used as a anti-friction material for metal surfaces.
    I bought a roll (54') of 3" wide by .030" thick from Multi-Craft Plastics in Oregon. It cost me $55/roll + S/H (ttl=$65). This was enough for me to do the front and rear springs with some left over. There was a 20% discount on a full roll order.

McMaster/Carr also sells it but they carry the .005" thick material which I think is a little thin but probably workable.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]

Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for! Gonna get out and measure the Skyjacker springs to see how many feet of that stuff I need to get. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

What are you gonna use it for? Will it improve flex enough to make it worth the time and $? Or do you have some other gain in mind?

I've always wondered why this stuff was used.

Thanx

[ QUOTE ]
    A friend is Like a Good Bra ... Hard to Find.
    They're Supportive ...
    Comfortable ... Always lifts you up ...
    Makes you feel better...
    And Always Close To Your Heart!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you get drunk, they might end up on the floor!

7. 88Silverado

Dang Bubba, that stuff looks good also.
    I got about 10' of the material with the lips on it from another palce and it was expensive! My plan was to use short lengths (1 foot) at the leaf ends and glue it to the springs but I couldnt find anything that would stick to that Poly-vinal. Then I got the small poly-vinal discs which required drilling the springs. After drilling one spring end with a hand drill, I gave up on that idea. I used JEk's advice and got the uhmwpe material and layed it the full length. The spring bolt and pressure holds the material in palce.

This place looks very reasonable in price. My springs are 2.5" wide. The UHMWPe had to be trimmed which was easy. The problem I didnt care for was removing the adheasive which came on the stuff I bought. I used a product called Goof Off which worked well for removing it but the fumes are pretty intense.

Ill bookmark your site for future reference /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Found that stuff by accident, but isn't it the same stuff sold by McMaster Carr?

9. 88Silverado

The material from Mc/Carr was .005" thick. Im not sure what the material thickness is of the roll material on your link. I thought .005 was too thin to hold up to small punctures and stay in place. The "lipped" material I have is about .050. JEK used material that was .060", I opted for the .030 which was about right.

The material is really only required at the spring ends where the friction is. I also thought about using "Slip-Plate" but didnt want to keep recoating the springs.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good to see that I didnt have to respond to this thread and the good word on UHMWPE/Multicraft got out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have been running this stuff in my springs for 3 years now, and its holding up great.

j

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

will it make my daily ride cushier? Cause really.. thats all I want. It flexes really good already, just that the sway bar is needed onroad.
    (Ok, so maybe its not that the springs are so stiff, but without the sway bar, I cant make turns faster than 15mph without feeling like the truck is gonna roll over!) Sure got that buttery smooth ride though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just wondering if it was worth the time/effort to remove my whole spring pack to do it all over again.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not exactly sure how to quantify the cushy factor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

main benefit is the reduction of binding between the leaves. I would think that it'd make the leaves more durable as well since dirt/grit grinding between the leaves as they get old and stuff has to wear them a bit. If your springs are already hella flexy I dont see a need to do the UHMWPE thing... I think its mainly for people who are doing a shackle flip, zero rate install, or lift (already taking the springs off anyway) and want to "rebuild" their crusty as hell 20 year old stocker springs.

j

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It should help a cushy ride. This depends mostly on the spring you have. Like Jek said it will do best on a stock/rusty spring pack. It is also a good way to help out the cheaper lift springs that don't come with teflon pads. I am gonna get some UHMWPE for the rear.
    PS what does UHMWPE stand for??

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene)

The credit is above/