Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teflon leaf spring liners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Musclerodz, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

Where can i get teflon liners for my leaf springs. Just had them fresh powdercoated and want to eliminate some binding and possible squeaking. I checked with GM and everything up to 87 has been discontinued on their computers.

mike

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

There is a thread posted on page 2 by scrappy88 titled 'UHMW-PE strips...' that has 7 replies with info to help you. Sorry I cant do the linking. just read it last nite.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Contact a local spring supplier or someone like Deaver or Eaton or National they should have what you are looking for

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

If you've got them apart and freshly powdercoated I'd skip those little spring pads and line the whole things with .030 to .060" UHMW-PE. Eliminates all metal to metal contact. It'll cost a bit more but I think it's worth it. I got mine at www.mcmaster.com and used the .050" adhesive backed in 6" wide.. just cut it to fit the springs. Part number is 7701T49.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you look closely at the later model spring packs that have the sliders on the ends of each leaf, you'll see that the springs don't even touch each other. :eek1: There is a spacer between each leaf at the center pin, and the slide pads at the ends, so there's always a gap between the leaves. Ya can't get much lower friction that that! :rolleyes:

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

X2. I have been wondering if I could get some of the pads for the centering pin from the newer trucks and use them on my older springs?

And to the original poster - as someone else mentioned, try a local spring shop. I bought some locally for 75 cents a piece.

:wink1:

7. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

I read the thread mentioned a couple a days ago but it has had a few more posts since. TO use those snaps I would have to drill hole in my springs and I don't want to do that. I have Grainger local to me, I will try them for the tape stuff. Thanks

Mike

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those "pads" at the center pin are just pieces of galvanized sheet metal. Maybe 1/16th of an inch thick.

I looked into adding the plastic sliders at the ends of the springs to an older set of springs. The spring shop said $5 PER HOLE DRILLED, :eek1: so I just grabbed a set of newer springs and freshened 'em up instead. :cool1: