Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teflon pads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 23, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok so I put an axle under the k5 and moved it into the garage(it snowed today so no more outside). So next thing to do is pull apart the rear suspension. I'm going to remove one leaf(I believe previous owner added an add-a-leaf), and cut down my overloads so they don't do any otherload stuff just act as zero rates. I would like to put new teflon pads on the springs as well. Where could I get some?

2. If memory serves me correctly, you can get those from the dealer for a dime each. But then again, the prices are always higher at the dealer so you might want to shop around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[darn] teflon, it sucks. what you need is some 0.030-0.060" UHMW-PE. It comes in a roll... 3" wide and you can cut it with scissors. Get some at ur local plastic supply place. Cut it in strips as long/wide as each leaf in ur pack and drill a hole in the center for the center pin. UHMW-PE resists cold flow to a greater degree than teflon. With this stuff in there, you're springs WON'T bind due to friciton between the leaves. May cost a little more than cheapo teflon pads, but it is a superior material for this application. Here is a pic of it in my spring pack...

pic

Ive had this in my pack for prolly 3 years now, and its good as new... this stuff is tuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How did you make that rear shock mount boss?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    How did you make that rear shock mount boss?

[/ QUOTE ]

55willy includes those lower shock mounts with his shock relocation/x-member kit.

j

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just rebuilt a set of spring packs from an '88 Blazer. It already had the factory plastic sliders at the ends of the leaves, but they were pretty worn after 109K miles. I bought new ones from a local spring shop for 65 cents each.

Teflon won't work in this application. It cold-flows under pressure and would just squish out from between the springs in a short time. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pretty sure the factory slider pads are UHMW and not teflon...although everyone calls the stuff teflon. I got mine at a local spring shop for 46 cents a piece. I sprayed the leafs with epoxy enamel after cleaning them up and added the new tips. I couldn't see a reason to re-invent the wheel, and I suck with scissors.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

UHMW is the stuff. its the same thing that they use on aluminum jet boats in canada to slide over rocks in shallow streams. they cover the whole bottom of their boats and the stuff gets the crap beat out of it and holds up better than anything else. I run it in my springs the stuff that comes in factory springs are just regular plastic. UHMW wasnt on the market till about 5 years ago.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

UHMW has been around longer than 5 years...

Rene

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

UHMW has been around for probably 30 years but not to the public. 5 years ago if you walked into a harware store and said you needed some UHMW they wouldnt have known what you were talking about.

11. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I've done the UHMW-PE tape and have a hard time keeping it in the spring pack; in fact, most of the tape on the lower leafs worked its way out sideways from the pack at BB'03. The smooth surface isn't the problem for me - it's the glue side that doesn't want to stick. Leafs are painted with POR15 and MetalMask. The springs are indeed very responsive with this setup. If anybody has a tip how to make the tape adhere better to the leafs, I'm all ears...

12. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the same problems. I have a lot of flex but the pad under the main leaf I am always messing with. I finally just but a little black tape around in and the spring to hold it in place. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok so I put an axle under the k5 and moved it into the garage(it snowed today so no more outside). So next thing to do is pull apart the rear suspension. I'm going to remove one leaf(I believe previous owner added an add-a-leaf), and cut down my overloads so they don't do any otherload stuff just act as zero rates. I would like to put new teflon pads on the springs as well. Where could I get some?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think BRB is the resident expert on padding and which type of pad would work best for this application /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif