Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teflon tape to stop oil leak from plug?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RENO88, Jan 2, 2008.

1. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

So I've alsways had a small leak coming from my oil pan drain plug. Today, I changed my oil, new plug and its still leaking from there. Im thinking the jack-ass previous owner over torqued it a few times. Should I try teflon to prevent oil pan replacement? I dont want anymore oil stains in my driveway!!

2. Streetgliderx

Streetgliderx 1/2 ton status

i teflon mine on a 98 ton454 i got those qualified goodWRENCH techs at the jiffy lube partially stripped mine one time i use tape and a dap of pipe thread sealer we use on gas lines. works good i have teflon and sealer on threads tested to 2800psi it holds.

3. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

Nice! Good to hear that it worked for you. I'll be doing this myself this weekend at the latest.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If I recall right, there should be a captive copper washer on your drain plug. I'd make sure that was still there first. If the washer is still there, and the threads on the pan are OK, it shouldn't leak and shouldn't take a ton of torque to get it tight enough to not leak.

The seal area isn't the threads themselves, but rather the seating face where the drain plugs tightens up to.

Rene

5. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

There's still a washer there, Its new with the plug. I figure I'll try to save a little change in hopes of not replacing the pan. You know what I mean? I know what I mean:rolleyes: Gotta try it.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So the threads in the pan are a bit 'dodgy'... is that what you're saying? :doah:

Rene

7. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

IF it is slightly stripped...and that doesn't solve it, you might want to give an oversized plug a shot. they make single and double oversized plugs. it acts as a tap the first time it goes in so it does remove some metal but usually works.

8. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

Ok Redneck, I'll try the teflon first, then oversize plug. I think I'll order a new pan, and gasket anyway.

9. 89yimmiJ

89yimmiJ 1/2 ton status

Remember that Teflon is a lubricant, not a sealant. The purpose of putting teflon on Pipe Threads(NPT) is so that you can tighten them more allowing the threads to seal. Since a Drain Plug is not pipe thread, and you are using the teflon as a sealant, it will only be a short term fix. (ie. to get you home, off a trail, etc.)
    A simple, long term fix is to drill it oversize and weld a nut on the outside of the pan and use a new drainplug.
    Personally, i'd spend a couple hours, pull the pan and fix it right, and not have to worry about whether or not it will leak and ruin my motor.

10. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

Yeah, 50 or so dollars will save me a few thousand.

11. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

And let me tell you, the leak is BAD! I put a small rag under there while here at work, and its almost saturated. I'll prolly need to add half quart before I drive home today.

12. Streetgliderx

Streetgliderx 1/2 ton status

i been running mine like this since early 99 i bought the truck new in 98. 210,000 miles and i still not leakin

13. RENO88

RENO88 1/2 ton status

So I used Quicksteel on my little issue. No leaks! We'll see what happens when I drive her to work. This basically means that I have approx 3 months to get a new pan in there..