Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller...

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Seventy4Blazer, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

who has one? you like it? i found it for 124.99 with the "plug and play" harnes for my 04.5 dodge. i will be using it on a tandem dual gooseneck 30 foot trailer. any other advice if you dont like it?
    thanks.
    Grant

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thats what I'm getting, where did you find that price?

3. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i paid 60 dollars for the draw tite version.....
    btw, draw tite bought tekonsha..... so now they will all be draw tites Intella-Stop™ Ultra

4. Seventy4Blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I'm getting, where did you find that price?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

and thats shipped with fed ex second day air....
    Grant

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Dont\' Do It !!!!

I'm done with these type of brake controlers. I have the Tekonsha on my rig, and it's not worth the #hit it's made out of when going down hill with the gooseneck and blazer on the back, talk about a pucker...... Now keep in mind this is just my opinion. I just do not like what happens when the brakes start to get hot, the controler does not increase the power to the controler, it keeps throwing the voltage to the brakes, and thus, the feeling of very little brakes down a very long grade. They are ok around town, but on a long road trip, no thanks. Besides you have to adjust and readjust and adjust to get them to not either push the tow rig, or drag the tow rig.

I have done a %hit pot of reasearch on brake controler and this is what I just ordered. Brakesmart Controler. It's real pricy, but in the long run in my opinion it's worth it. There is nothing worse than %ucking with the brake controler all the time. This one you plug it in and forget it, rarely if ever do you even have to adjust it. It adjusts for the trailer type and automatically.

Like I said, I hate screwing with the brake controler, and my days of doing that are shortly going to be over. As much as I tow the gooseneck around this price is going to be well worth it.

Don't waste you money on the other expensive controlers, read the above post and then make your mind up. I have read all the post on the Diesel towing forums and this controler is being touted by the guys that tow all the time as the hottest thing since sliced bread.

Rob

6. Seventy4Blazer

Re: Dont\' Do It !!!!

Rob,
    something i have noticed about you is ya dont mess around. if you dont like it and have a good reason then the things is most people will agree with you on stuff like this. ill get a fe more inputs and go from there. thanks for yours though, it has been noted.

since my setup is about the same as yours... kinda...
    (i think your truck might have as much power as mine almost /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) then ill take it into consideration. i will also be getting the Jake Brake for my rig. im not sure if it will be installed before my trip, so i will need a good controller.

any more input? im waiting for my TDR account to be activeted and then will post up there as well.
    Grant

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ( i will also be getting the Jake Brake for my rig. im not sure if it will be installed before my trip, so i will need a good controller.

Grant

[/ QUOTE ]
    You may be putting a exhaust brake on your truck, but unless you're running a big rig engine you won't find a "Jake brake" for it.

8. Seventy4Blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ( i will also be getting the Jake Brake for my rig. im not sure if it will be installed before my trip, so i will need a good controller.

Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be putting a exhaust brake on your truck, but unless you're running a big rig engine you won't find a "Jake brake" for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... jacobs makes it and its an exhaust brake... so its a jake brake.... correct me if im wrong here....
    oh, also Dodge and cummins have made it so you can get it from the factory. well, until they decided to stop until they fix one problem with the clamp design.
    anywho, Yes, it is a Jake Brake.
    grant

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... jacobs makes it and its an exhaust brake... so its a jake brake.... correct me if im wrong here....
    oh, also Dodge and cummins have made it so you can get it from the factory. well, until they decided to stop until they fix one problem with the clamp design.
    anywho, Yes, it is a Jake Brake.
    grant

[/ QUOTE ]

No go to Jacobs web page and look. They make a Jacobs Dodge Exhaust Brake for those trucks. But they don't make a JakeBrake for them only for the heavy duty engines. Even Jacobs uses JakeBrake as a term for their Jacobs Engine Brake which is different than their exhaust brake.
    I've driven a UPS Peterbuilt with a "Blue Ox" exhaust brake and many trucks with "Jake" brakes the difference is night and day between them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, the classic meaning of "Jake Brake" involves much more than just exhaust brake. The "Jake Brake" actually changes the valve timing and such to provide engine braking by closing the valve on the upstroke (and down? not sure of the specifics) instead of restricting exhaust to provide back pressure on the exhaust stroke.

11. Seventy4Blazer

ya learn something new everyday. i stand corrceted.
    Thanks for the info.
    Grant

12. therobzilla

Grant,

Keep in mind that the new Dodge Cummins trucks with Autos in them will not allow exhuast brakes. If you install one, with an auto, it will void the factory warrantee if I am correct. There is some issue with using an exhuast brake in an automatic. Don't know it exactly, but do a search on DTR and you will see what I am talking about.

Good luck.

Rob

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, the classic meaning of "Jake Brake" involves much more than just exhaust brake. The "Jake Brake" actually changes the valve timing and such to provide engine braking by closing the valve on the upstroke (and down? not sure of the specifics) instead of restricting exhaust to provide back pressure on the exhaust stroke.

[/ QUOTE ]That is exactly correct, Real jake brakes bolt between the head and valve cover and control the valves like you mentioned. What is used for the 5.9 ISB and 6BT is just a butterfly in the exhaust. If I could find a real Jake brake for my ISB like whats on our N14 and M11 cummins motors I would be all over that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyway, thanks for the info Rob, I am interested in a brake controller for my new dodge cummins.

14. Seventy4Blazer

this i know, thats another reason i got the six shooter....

i didnt have any problems with my trip from pendleton to Boise to eugene. thats with 9k behind and on me, no trailer brakes or exhaust brake. trucks brakes were used very little as well. i just eased out of thr throttle at the crest of the hill and checked the brakes a bit. then downshifted.

the problem is i will be adding the weight of a much larger trailer and a camper to everything else. so i will be using all 8 tires of braking ability on the trailer as much as possible.

any other inputs on brake controllers?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy and I wouldn't run anything else. I have never heard anything bad about it and when my friends tell me they have braking problems I tell them to get a real brake controller and open the door to my truck. Haven't had one yet that didn't say, "OOOH, IS THAT A PRODIGY? HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?"

If you didn't like it, Rob, I'd venture to say it just wasn't adjusted correctly, or it wasn't grounded directly to the battery like the instructions state. Mine has been flawless for 3 years now.

16. Seventy4Blazer

i got the same reviews on TDR about the prodigy.
    i will be going with this one as well rob
    http://www.brakesmart.net/controller.htm
    thanks all for the input. the brake smart makes a lot more sense to me as well. seems like a leot better system from both reviews and description.
    Grant

17. therobzilla

Tim,

My controler is grounded to the battery as stated in the installation directions, and I venture to say that I have adjusted it in every way shape and possible. I am quite anal regarding following the instructions and adjustment guidelines. It probably is working flawlessly for a Prodigy.

My point is that based on the weight of my trailer, my brake setup on the trailer and the overall "Package" of my tow rig and trailer, that I am not pleased with the controler. I have done some very long research on controler, and I am going to try the Brakesmart setup. The people that have used it to tow heavy setups, including bumper pull trailer, and gooseneck trailer and 5th wheel setups love them. Say its far and above the rest on the market. I like the idea of the controler working off the pressure in the brake system then transfering it to the controler. I don't like to monkey and fiddle fart around with brake setting on the trailer.

When I get the Brakesmart, I will do a write up on it and let everyone know just how it works.

Rob

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

As for the auto with an exhaust brake, I know that the tranny has a habbit of overheating. It does not have provisions for proper fluid movement when locked up and being forced by the driveline. I have a lot of customers at my shop that run a cummins or a powerstroke for heavy duty towing. I will start asking if they have any experience with the tekonsha prodigy. I am going to agree with rob as to his anal tendencies. He does his homework. You could always buy it used from him and try it out there grant.

19. Seventy4Blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the auto with an exhaust brake, I know that the tranny has a habbit of overheating. It does not have provisions for proper fluid movement when locked up and being forced by the driveline. I have a lot of customers at my shop that run a cummins or a powerstroke for heavy duty towing. I will start asking if they have any experience with the tekonsha prodigy. I am going to agree with rob as to his anal tendencies. He does his homework. You could always buy it used from him and try it out there grant.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, i dont want to do the work twice though. im lazy like that... kinda...
    Grant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim,

My controler is grounded to the battery as stated in the installation directions, and I venture to say that I have adjusted it in every way shape and possible. I am quite anal regarding following the instructions and adjustment guidelines. It probably is working flawlessly for a Prodigy.

My point is that based on the weight of my trailer, my brake setup on the trailer and the overall "Package" of my tow rig and trailer, that I am not pleased with the controler. I have done some very long research on controler, and I am going to try the Brakesmart setup. The people that have used it to tow heavy setups, including bumper pull trailer, and gooseneck trailer and 5th wheel setups love them. Say its far and above the rest on the market. I like the idea of the controler working off the pressure in the brake system then transfering it to the controler. I don't like to monkey and fiddle fart around with brake setting on the trailer.

When I get the Brakesmart, I will do a write up on it and let everyone know just how it works.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very unfortunate to hear. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I pull my mom's 33' 5er and my 20' bumper pull 14k GVWR trailer with my tow rig all the time--never a hickup from the Prodigy.