Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tell me aboot winch ratings, and will this winch work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by timmay, Feb 18, 2006.

1. timmay

timmay Registered Member

So, if a winch is rated for 3,000 pounds, what does that mean? Can it lift 3,000 pounds straight up off the ground? How does the math/physics work into this?

Now, here is what I am wanting to do: I am looking for a small (cheap) electric winch to replace the hand crank winch on a boom/hoist thing I have that I use for lifting parts off the ground and moving them to somewhere else. The heaviest I would lift would be an engine/transmission combo. Would a 3,000 pound winch work for lifting this? Would the brake hold the weight alright? I would be using it with a snatch block for a double line pull. Also, would it be strong enough to pull a dead truck onto a trailer? I would mount it to a receiver type hitch so I can store it inside when not in use.

I can get the Harbor Freight winch for $99.99 on sale and it looks fairly complete http://www.harborfreight.com then search for item number 91781

[​IMG]

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

wouldnt use for overhead lifting. Get a winch designed for that, the brake could let go.

3. timmay

timmay Registered Member

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i used to use a come along on a beam:o not ht best setup but it workedand it cant just keep spinning either

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'd use a 2 pawl come-a-long before that hand crank deal.

Self recovery winches are rated to pull a rolling load, on a flat plane, at the last layer of cable on the drum.

Its been a while since I looked it up, but overhead hoists have to have some sort of second cable stop, IIRC. Maybe try searching Billa Vista winch page.

6. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A quick look at the product manual says not to use for overhead lifting as the winch is not designed for that. Of course they may be covering their asses, but with a lot of the HF products I've owned barely doing the job they were designed for, I probably would pass.:rolleyes:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

well.....my experience VS "disclaimers"....

I have a crane on a flatbed I used for several years on my 74 K20 pickup..
    I used a 1500lb electric winch,I think it was a Dayton(W.W. Grainger)..it was not reccomended for overhead lifting either,NO winch IS!..but it DOES work,and though I never trusted it,it never once dropped the load or broke!..just dont stand under whatever your lifting!..(made in china crap might not last long however!)..

I too think the "disclaimer" is printed to cover the manufacturer against lawsuits..I see no difference in LIFTING 3000 lbs,or DRAGGING 3000 lbs,as far as whether the winch cable and winch itself are concerned..its "holding" the load once the power is cut that determines the difference in a winch,and a HOIST!..

My winch was a bit slow,and would barely lift the Caddy 500 motor and TH400 I got from a friend,using a snatch block for a "double pull"..I once lifted the ass end of a Dodge Ramcharger off the ground with it so we could yank the rear diff and springs out though,my battery must have been better charged that day--it nearly made the left front wheel come off the ground on my truck,and I think it tweaked the frame,because when I junked it last year,both rails were no longer level with each other when I pulled the bed and crane off to save them..:doah: ..you really need to put a block or jack stand under the frame to prevent that, when lifting heavy stuff I quickly learned!..

I would stick with a smaller winch..I wished mine was 2500 lbs or more a few times,but I figured the smaller winch would be a safety factor..anything too heavy for it to lift was overloading the crane and truck anyway,and any more power would only ruin things..

I thought about converting it to hydraulic,it would not be that hard..a power steering pump and a starter motor can be used to power it..a snowplow valve body could be used for the up/down controls..that would probably have enough power to bend the truck up,or flip it over!..:eek1:

The best winch for lifting is a worm type...they hold the load wherever you stop cranking..but most have no "freewheeling",and have to be cranked OUT as well as in...not a big deal if its electric,but it sucks if its a hand cranker!..either those or a "Brakewinch" are the only ones to trust to hold a load...I've even used cheap boat winches with a "ratchet" to lift truck beds off,and motors out--but you have to be REAL careful,and keep your hands clear if the handle starts spinning at 2000 rpms!..I nearly lost my right hand once using one on a "gantry" crane I built..I found a worm type winch to put on it instead..

A HOIST is the RIGHT thing to use,but they are very costly..a chain falls is a pretty good substitute,they are fairly easy to pull a heavy load on with,and can be trusted more(not electrified though..bummer!)--I don't like come-a-longs,but I've used them several times--they always pinch a finger,and seem cheesily built,I don't trust them much either.....that said,I loved my electric winch,and wish I still had the flatbed/crane on my truck, rather than on a trailer frame..I need to move some heavy stuff,and I MISS having it right on the truck!..trailer is a PITA to manuver into tight spots..:crazy: