Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tell me about 3/4 eliptical

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by big83chevy4x4, Aug 13, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i know the basic design, is there anything else? advantages, disadvantages? how does it handle at somewhat high speeds? down steep hills? what springs to use? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They guy that runs it on here TJ (Denver75K5) has spoken bad words about it. He is going to do a link suspension with coils is the rumor.

A buddy of mine had a buggy leaf on his front srpings on his K5 for years. I talked to him about it and he HIGHLY recommended that I NOT do it. With it on the front springs he said that the front axle would try and walk away from the truck when he crested uphill ledges.

In the rear I don't remember exactly why TJ didn't like it.

Harley

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

TJs problem was loadin of the springs I think. He'd jump on the gas and the rear end of the truck would lift up quite a bit.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah that sounds scary. can someone explain how the 3/4 eliptical works? ive seen pics, but dont quite understand...

5. big83chevy4x4

i PMed TJ, hopefully he will post here to tell about his experiances.

[ QUOTE ]
    TJs problem was loadin of the springs I think. He'd jump on the gas and the rear end of the truck would lift up quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the rear end lifted up, wouldn't an anti wrap bar help? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

instead of the shackle being solidly mounted on the frame, it is atached to a nother spring. now when the rear is droped, the second spring lets the shackel down to allow for more flex.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, thats makes that picture 100% now. I understand, thanks!

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Marv (guy with buggy springs on the front that harley mentioned) and I bounced around some ideas/alternatives about 3/4 set ups recently. First they are real loose in the seat. A track (panhard) bar is often necessary. The frame moves alot when the spring unloads, and the buggy leaf acts like a 2 foot long wobble shackle letting the axle have all kinds of leverage on the springs (bad thing). I also feel they allow the axle to walk too far under as it flexes wich in turn causes rear steer input. Then there is the point of axle wrap. The rear half of the leaf does little to fight axle wrap as it will just push/pull the buggy leaf as the torque demands. They can be made to work, I know there are people using them, and using them well. I looked into running one but ran some numbers (made some models) and it didn't do well enough for me.

Just my .02

9. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

How about 1/4 elliptical springs? They got crazy flex but i dont know if they're street legal. D and C Extreme Go there to suspension then 4link, thats the only place ive seen them.

Later

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no reason it couldn't be street legal. but we have discussed this before, 1/4 elliptical under a full size truck is iffy. That D&C stuff is some serious springs but not sure about the arch on them.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Marv Springer runs a quarter elliptic 3 or 4 link suspension front and rear on his buggy. Flexes pretty good and still has room for improvement.

Harley

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I've got 3/4 elliptical in the rear of my jeep with a 3 link. Works well. You do feel some lift when you get on the gas and turning, but a lot of that is the springs. I have stock CJ springs (no lift) that are extremely whooped. All four main packs are in downward arch just sitting. I need to replace all four packs and it should tighten everything up.

But overall I like the 3/4 elliptical, I haven't had any problems with it unloading and it flexes very well.

I have been toying with the idea of going to coils though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Other than a bit of unloading which a limit strap in the center of the axle mostley took care of it actually has served me well. BUT if I had it to do over I would have just linked it with coils or coilovers.
    Disadvantage:

Unloading,
    Schackles hit everything,
    If the "Goofy leaf" breaks , your in trouble,

Advantage:

Quite a bit of droop for the rear.

So, imo, if your looking for more flex youd be better off linking it or getting a set of alcan's.

15. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status