Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tell me about the Burban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2500SWATBurb, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

My dad recently bought me a 1990 Suburban 2500 4x4. It has 63,000 miles on it and seems to be in perfect running order. Before I got her... she spent her entire life as a SWAT team vehicle in Atlanta and appears to have been maintained very very well.

14bolt SF 8 lug rear, 10 bolt 8 lug front. 241 TC. TH400 tranny ( I sure wish it had a 4th gear like the 4L80 )

I love the vehicle and plan on taking great care of her.

What are some things I should know? Any special knowledge I need to know about this particular year model or suburban?

I noticed when I changed the oil today that the drain plug had a magnet on it and had already caught some metal filings. Is that standard? Also.. it had a Baldwin E5 oil filter on it which is twice the size of the Fram I put on it. Are the baldwins good filters? Will the fram be ok?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Burb's are ungodly heavy, if you plan on wheeling moderate to hard stuff plan on going 1 ton for the axles. IMO 14SF is adaquate for that truck until you lift and go larger than 35's, the TH400 is bulletproof, and I really like the 241 t-case. There was a thread here a couple of months back about oil filters and most guys are of the opinion fram's are junk. I don't know anything about baldwin but I remember Wix filters kept getting mentioned as good ones.

What motor did your truck come with?

3. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Came with the 5.7... It has a nice high stance as it is.. It's a little bit higher than my Dads 91 2500 4wd. But it hasnt been "lifted."
    Part of me wants to keep it stock height.. But I dont know how long I can do that. So is a lift out of the question with stock drivetrain? Even 3-4 inches running 35's?

I have searched and searched and cannot find a weight for the truck. Do you happen to know just how much it weighs with the 350?

I know it's a solid solid vehicle because my Dad was hit head on by a Camaro going 75 mph and all occupants in his Burban survived.. not so for the camaro. It was hurt, but not as bad as I thought it would be. (He no longer has it though :( ) The Burbans must be very solid.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

4" lift and 35's should be fine on that drivetrain. I got slammed by a semi in a 7 car pile up on I-45 in houston in my 91 burb and walked away from it with a torn ACL (I was still standing on the brake when it was my turn to get hit and had my knee locked) the car in front of didn't look like a car anymore when the pulled my burb off of it, so yeah they work. IIRC a burb weighs in right around 7,000 lbs

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My '84 2wd 3/4-ton Burb (6.2L though) weighs right around 6000lbs empty. Take away ~200 for the gas engine, add maybe 4-500 for the axle, tcase, and extra driveshaft.

Say 6200-6300lbs?

6. Classic Broncos Rule

Classic Broncos Rule Registered Member

Fram filters are junk, Baldwin are darn good, but I prefer MotorCraft. Join this forum and check out the oil filter evaluations and other good stuff

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/