Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tell me how hard.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tell me how hard it is to swap gears in a front ten bolt. Looking at saving myself some cash and just doing the damn thing myself. I know I need a dial gauge but anything else..... I would rather take the time and learn how to do it rather then have someone do it. I know I will get it eventually.On average how long did it take you guys to do gears your fist time???? Just seeing if I'm getting myself in over my head.

2. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All you need is a dial for measuring pinion depth and backlash, and a torque wrench. If you have a mechanical mind and some wrenching ability, you can swap gears in your 10 bolt, no sweat. It is a good idea to get someone out there to help you take it apart piece by piece, someone who has set a rearend up before and knows the process. You can do it!! Kevin

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

you dont need a spreader on a 1o bolt?

but its the front.... honestly, what kind of pavement miles does it see?
    i say go for it

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It doesn't see to much pavement at all, mostly what is required to get to the trail. Thats about it. I think im going to give it a shot this weekend. thanks guys :thumb:

5. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You shouldn't need a spreader on a 10 bolt, the carrier usually just drops in. :cool1: Kevin

6. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Don't let anyone fool you, setting up gears is tricky business. I'm doing my 10 bolt right now. Here is a link to my thread.... http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133766&page=1&pp=10

If you have knowledge of the axle you may want to give it a shot, but if not I'd look for a replacement axle rather than taking on such a painstaking process. Pirate4x4 has a PDF file of Yukon's install instructions, this is a good place to start to see if you want to do it or not.

GOOD LUCK :D Let me know if you are going to do it and I'll let you know the problems I ran into with my first install