Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tell me whats wrong with these??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scuba Steve, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

These are pictures of the plugs that I pulled out today. I have listed the cylinder number on each of the plugs. Can anyone tell me whats going on in 6,7 and 8 please.

IMG_1852mod.jpg

IMG_1853mod.jpg

2. bigtread

bigtread Registered Member

Is that mud on no. 8

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

what do they smell like. Thats usually a good indicator. Im not sure off the top of my head what the soot is. Either burning oil or running rich is my guess.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

125 look lean 678 look oil burnt fouled . major work needed .

oh ya and thay are auto lights not acdelcos.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

number 8 looks like it suffered detonation. Notice the chunk of missing porcelain. Might account for the buildup, cause Im sure that led to a reduced spark.

Also, since it just seems to be the back plugs, could be a leaking vacuum modulator on the transmission, since you have a th400. Sucking ATF up into the manifold and burning it. Pull the hose that goes down to the tranny off the manifold and see if it has any ATF in it.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

valve seals failing in certain cylinders, had another motor that did the same thing to me as well, even the current one in the Burb looks like that after awhile.

that's not a chunk of ceramic missing, it's a chunk of the burnt oil that broke off.

does the motor smoke alittle at start-ups?

7. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

You need to do a compression check. My guess is that cyl 8, maybe more will be low on compression. Does it burn oil? Last time I saw a plug like 8 the truck was using oil and low on compression and I had to keep changing the plug when it fouled out every 500 miles or so. My guess is you have at least 1 dead or dying cylinder.
    Mike

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

9. Scuba Steve

Well this is what I feared. I think I will be getting a new engine here in the near future. Good thing taxes are coming in.

10. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

foul!

They look oil fouled,even the ones that are heavily crusted with the tan ash deposits..oil additives leave that ash deposit,if enough oil gets to the plugs it turns them black and wet like coal..your #8 is ash deposits,probably due to bad valve stem seals..the ones like # 6 are oil fouled..

I noticed the worst fouled plugs came from the rearmost cylinders..you might have clogged up oil return drain holes in the heads,it lets oil puddle up in the heads and flood the valve guides and seals,and allows too much to get in the cylinders..the puddles form in the rear near the firewall the most,since the motor tilts that way..

You might try using hotter plugs..if they are R43TS,try R45TS instead..the brand of oil used can make a difference too..oil with a higher flash point will reduce the fouling..synthetic has the highest flash point,followed by heavier oils like 20W-50,SAE 30W...diesel 15W-40 has a high flash point too,but can loosen sludge up in a dirty old motor,might not be a good idea..I have see it free up stuck rings in one motor I had though,that I didn't care if it blew!..it practically cured its smoking and plug fouling problems..:crazy:

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

New set of valve stem seals (umbrella posi type) would help your fouling problem. Before I rebuilt the top end of the 350 in my old K5, all my plugs looked like #8 and #6. Truck had the nickname of "Skeeter killer" at the shop :P

I ended up replacing the heads and a new cam/lifters while I was at it. Once I pulled the heads off, it was just easier slapping on some relatively new ones I had laying around instead of doing the whole valve job.

It is possible to change your stem seals without taking the heads off. You just need the "other" valve spring compressor tool (the one that doesn't wrap around the whole head). New set of stem seals doesn't cost that much, either.

13. Scuba Steve

Well this is good news. I could replace the seal but this gives me a reason for new heads. What do you guys think World S/R torquers w/ 67 cc chamber or Edelbrock performers w/ 70cc chamber

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006
  14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a motor that I drove on for a long time that lts plugs looked like that go with the hotter plug in the bad cylinders they work well. I would go for the World but then you open up a whole lot more things to do also.