Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tell me your opinion about Superior axle shafts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatK30guy, Mar 25, 2004.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are they the strongest of all on the market? What about Moser shafts? I thought alloys are stronger but someone on POR said the Mosers aren't hardened and lead to breakage on the ears. Tell us your opinions on which brand is the "best" and strongest of all. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I really don't know which is better but even if Moser is stronger Superior must be pretty damn good if ORD sells them. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Harley

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

from all the info I have read on Pirate, Superiors are about the best you can get that isnt a custom shaft produced by a guy who makes hi-perf racing stuff. They are priced accordingly. Personally, if I was gonna spend the $ for superiors... I'd prolly just go ahead and give sandy cone a call and get some custom 300m shafts made up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

As far as 1/2 ton goes a superior/CTM combo will break something else first (R&P, hub, d-shaft). It will take a lot to break something though. I haven't looked at the 60 stuff much. Robzilla is now running full superior with CTM's. I know he does his homework when it comes to big stuff like that and wouldn't settle for next best. I would believe that just shy of full 300M the superior is best.

I would like to see a 300M yoke kit to go on some double splined superior shafts.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They're just about as good as it can get. They really did their homework on what material to use, how to heat treat it, what they could make bigger, etc. Price wise, they're expensive, but given that a full set of CTM's 300M shafts will run $3K, the superior shafts at about $2100 are a bargain. You may not have the absolute last edge in strength that a CTM 300M shaft has but they're still extremely strong. They're probably 90% as strong for 2/3rds the price.
    One problem with any alloy shaft setup is choosing a ujoint, and what it comes down to is that it's not smart to use anything but a CTM in a set of axles that cost several hundred dollars each. That adds considerably to the cost of the assemblies but then the ujoint is a pretty important link in the chain.
    I think in the D44 shafts, Superior beats warn out, but we have to give warn some credit here, they build a pretty good shaft for a pretty decent price and have been doing it for the last 5 years. Superior has a smarter heat treating procedure, smarter profiling on the shafts and nice beef on the ears. Rolled splines never hurts either.
    One more thing I like about Superior is that they're a big well established forging company that does all their own work in house, here in the country. They're really accountable for their work and don't rely on the warranty to bail them out of poor quality control. We've found that full warranties don't help much when you break down on the trail somewhere.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

recent information indicates that the moser shafts are 1541H alloy (which they'll probably tell you). Stock inner shafts are 1541H alloy while stock stubs seem to be a lower grade alloy.