Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teller County Hill Climb racers run the cheapest AC Delco plugs.............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Slayer, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>Thought that I'd make this a whole new post. After talking to 14 GM/Chevy (my IQ goes down too many points when I get near the F**D's) Teller County Hill Climb racers, I was told that they ALL run the cheapest AC Delco plugs.

</font color=blue><font color=red>I asked about AC Delco Rapid Fire's, Platinum tipped, those ultra-expensive Bosch platinum quad-tips, Split Fire's, etc. All of them agreed and stated; "You're throwing away your money".

</font color=red><font color=green>To add to this, I was at my favorite speed shop this week, and this guy had a very nice El Camino that was running real bad. The shop guru replaced the Rapid Fire plugs with AC Delco el-cheapos, and the engine ran fine.

This same shop had a K5 that was sputtering, popping and coughing under a load. The truck was running platinum tipped Autolites. Again, the shop guru replaced the plugs with AC Delco cheapos and it stopped acting up and now runs fine.
    </font color=green>
    I am still surprised by this. I know a lot of people that use the better plugs and I myself have always invested in the supposedly "higher-quality" spark plugs, especially for Harleys, yet I foul a lot of plugs. Just as soon as the weather warms up another 30 degrees, and stops freezing the roads, I'm gonna try a set of AC Delco cheapies in the bike and see what happens.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Oh yeah, they not only run the AC Delco cheap plugs in their race cars/trucks, but ALSO in their towing rigs, daily drivers, and ATV's.....................

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just swapped out my Bosch platinum's for AC's...it runs great. I was never impressed with the Bosch or any of the other 'premium' brands of plugs and thought I'd try some cheap plugs for the hell of it.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 1ton with the 454 that is my tow rig i also ran into the same thing AC Delco all the way!!!

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Ive been running the AC's for about 5 years now and The HP has also, he's tried all the fancy plugs out there and the AC's run the best.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, 14ff, (soon to be- dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

99 cent A-C delcos or Autolites plugs are the best. I think Paying $3.oo + bucks a plug is bull.
    I'v been suckered in to buying high dollar plugs. I once replaced a set of new cheap plugs with a set of splitfires. There was absoultly no difference between the two performance wise. I think it's a total waste of money to pay top dollar for plugs. I have also used bocsh platimums. they wore out just as fast as 99 cent plugs and cost a whole lot more.
    Also people who buy high priced plugs tend to leave them in longer to get their" Money's worth" out of them even though they are worn out. Canceling the benifits(if any).
    You can buy 3-5 sets of plugs for what a set of Splitfires cost. Replacing them every year/ 12000 miles will keep your vehicle in top order, plug wise.

If you want to do somthing to plugs that really will give you a noticible boost in power: Side gap them
    Side gapping is: Grinding off the tip on the side electrode wire so the center electrode is completely exposed to the combustion chamber. Then gap them from the side of the center electrode to the electrode arm. The gap can be set tighter than the recomended gap also to give a hotter larger spark. The plugs will wear out faster or need to be regapped. But I think the gain in performance is worth it. if you dont mind changing the plugs more often. Thats why cheap plugs are very good for this. I use side gapped plugs all the time in my boat. I usually only have to change or regap them once a year.
    I would run them in my K5 but I have headers. Changing plugs is a little more of a hassle than with regular manifolds. so I run regular old Delcos.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to the benefits of side-gapping plugs:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976