Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tellico Carnage post.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They had not even made it to the trails and the carnage began.

Depdog:
    I ran into him Thursday after he spent 2 hours on the side of the road with a busted Bastard U-joint he didn't have a spare for.
    Me:
    Found several problems with tow rig that I needed to address. Not really carnage but made me late to get up there. I installed a tranny cooler and replaced a heater hose and did a few other things before loading the 79 onto the trailer and taking off with 8K in tow on a truck I have not had long enough to have REAL confidence in yet. Yeah it's in good shape but the heater hose I replaced had a date of 10-2-87 on it. The truck was manufactured 11-87. SOOOOO I wonder what else is needing to be swapped out.
    Other then a lot of hills slowing me down and having to drop into 2nd, mostly uneventful ride. Got her up to 220 or so Deg one hill but she cooled off half down the other side. Water neck is seaping so will need to reseal that.

I get there about 7:15 and Bee32 and crew had not yet arrived. I was delivering my 79 to Bee32's buddy that bought it. They were coming from VA for the ride.
    Caught up with Beater74 and Dep in town. Followed them back to Tellico Cabins where they were staying. Narrow roads. Right wheels of trailer on the white line and left side on the center yellow. I was sweating having to pass another truck headed the other way pulling a trailer the same width.
    Beater74 and his wonderful wife let me crash there for the night and even fed me, so I could hopefully deliver the 79 in the morning ( I had planned on heading home Friday night). He and his wife were great for putting me up for the night.

Orange Crush:
    OMG what a huge blazer! The hood is about 6ft off the ground. It's awsome looking truck on 44's. He was off chasing parts to fix it, 4 hours away. There is an event in Jellico ( not Tellico, Jellico. ERROC event) and Murphy was dry of D60 parts as a result. The cabins have a rock garden and he blew a 60 short shaft playing on it.
    He gets back about 10pm and I held up a fence post and watched them change out the shaft. Handling loose 44's on a hill is a 2 person job btw.
    So he gets that wrapped up and while trying to get his Tow rig turned around get's it stuck.
    He was not having a good day but was keeping his hurmor about it. We all put some muscle into it and got him out.
    Not long after that it started to rain and rain pretty heavy most of the night. The water crossings should be pretty deep as a result.

I crashed about Midnight and Tallison 79 showed up at 1am or so. no carnge but got in late.

I wake up about 7:00. Have a cup of joe . Decide to head up the twisty steep rd to Crawford camp to see if Bee32 had made it in. Fun with 5k of Blazer on a 3k trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Find BigJBear and Keith first. They got in like 2:30 AM. BigJBear lost and Alternator on the way up. Keith was problem free but helped BigJbear get going again.

Find Bee32 and his crew...still asleep. Arival time 4am. They had a hell of a ride up! They had this HUGE tripple axle trailer with two blazers on it being pulled by a Dodge with a V10. Looking at the trailer made with what I guess was 8 inch C channel, I figured they had an easy 15,000lb in tow if not more.
    I was impressed that the V10 had that much motor. They overheated a couple time. The trailer was not level and kept bottoming t the tires. That kept locking up the front wheels and wasn't helping one bit. At one point they lost a wheel on the trailer and it litteraly bounced over the guy in the next lanes hood. It took those poor guys DOUBLE the time they had anticipated it would take to get there.

SO I think Jason was happy with the 79 I sold him. He should be joining soon. Good truck. I thought Mrs Reaper was going to cry when she took a last look at the old Girl. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif We have had it for 6 years now.

He hopped in it and took off for home not long after I signed the title over to him. Should be getting close to Virginia by now. Keep an eye out for it. It's Black and silver with Spare and Jerry can on the back.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, update to the carnage (to date, Keith, BigJbear and a few others hit the trails again this morning as we were heading out). I actually felt the joint popping (weird vibtration) pulled in the Advance Auto parts and they did not have another. I had a spare and while I changed it the wife went 1 town south and bought me two spares (man was that nice, god I love her /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Got up there around 9:30 pm and talked with Blazer74. Next morning we looked at the rock garden, Orange Crush came up and we all talked and looked over our rigs. He left to go pick up his wife and I talked Blazer74 into the rock garden (Edelbrock carbs suck, he now knows this for sure. Fuel woes turned him off the rocks pretty fast, it was a steep garden and the angles were not friendly to him)

I aired down to 6 psi, locked the hubs and got about twice as far as he did, to be stopped cold by a large rock on the left side. With mud slicking up tires and the size of the rocks, it was a no go without the winch, so I backed out. Orange Crush shows up and we get him in the garden, he got to the spot I made it to and with his larger tires, and a big bounce, got his front tires on the rock I could not get over. Due to some carb issues with his rig he slid off and then got hard on the skinny pedal trying to get back up. Bounced once, twice, and the third time down the right side knuckle u joint gave it up and took the inner shaft with it.

Met up in town and talked a while with most of the folks. Then at 9 am the next morning everybody showed up except for our late VA crew. We headed for the trails at around 10 a.m. The VA crew never did quite catch up with us that day, we did trail 4 to trail 8 (some of the lesser equiped rigs took 8 around to the top of 9 and walked down to watch us come up 9 (this is called Slick Rock or Hard Rock depending on who you talk to). There were lots of pictures shot and I hope to see them posted soon. I have a few, but not many. I was very busy spotting and dragging cable. Not to mention rocks and parts. I came up and down Slick Rock almost and evend dozen times. (That is one hell of a hump) The long wheelbase K30's made us K5's look silly on slick rock. Both came up without winching, but with a lot of go pedel. During the ride up to 9, there were at least 3 rocker panels and 2 doors rock modified. Then there was a right rear topper window spiderwebbed. I tore a small spot of metal where my carrier mounts, have rash on all 4 beadlocks, pulled the bottom fron lip on both the 14 bolt and the Dana 60 enough to make em leak oil. Have numerous dents in both covers. Rock rash to the rocker knockers, axle housings, transfer case skids, both front and rear bumpers, and the Rock Rod took some aweful hard knocks and stayed true.

Big Jim got a flat and we hand an old 50's Dodge Power Wagon thing (like a Suburban, but 50's era) that blew two beads and I am not sure what else as he left before we got out. Orange Crush blew the drivers side Dana 60 shaft and u-joint on trail 9, after slapping in the spare set he had, we all got up and out 9 just as it started to rain. I left my cabin at 8:50 a.m. and got back at 10:35. That was a long day of trail.

I will post more later and hopefully some pics and others will chime in.

Depdog

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

IT'S <font color="red">BEATER74 </font> NOT BLAZER74 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

had a great time trails were real tough /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

them boys 79beast and 72thing in their k30 were GETTING it. not bad for some guys that are use to play in mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

keith and depdog were work working it hard and showed us how it's done /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

after 12 hours on the trails i came to the end with everybody and went to switch out of LOW and it wouldn't budge so i yanked a little harder and it pop loose not giving me any gears at all /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. thanks BIGJBEAR and others we got it back in low and i made it back the last 13 miles on trail one in low gear and on to my trailer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. talison79

talison79 1/2 ton status

Just a quick note, Had a blast, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I put up a couple of pictures real quick 2003 Ck5 Tellico run Will post more later when i get back.

5. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Breakin dana 60 shafts and joints suck. I also cracked the tranny to transfer case adapter probably fried the trans too but damn it was fun I'll be back hopefully with better luck ! Also to the uninformed Jim's offroad in Oakridge TN. has dana 60 shafts and other misc. parts on the shelf and a BIGGGGGGG THANKS goes out to all the members of the K5 run for all their help and support. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Hehe a LONG day!
    I figured that was going to happen with all the rain.
    Well my carnage rose a little. I found the upper radiator hose routing bracket that keeps it off the belts and out of the fan was not installed correctly by the PO. I had noticed some coolant on the intake and I had a little heating problem but never a overheat just got hotter then normal. Well the hose would bounce nad rub on the A/C fan belt. SO I eneded up blowing the hose in my driveway LOL.
    Hopefully the Virginia guys (Bee32 and friends) had a better ride home then they did down. Hopefully they will post up.

Sorry I couldn't hang for Saturday. Just had some stuff that had to be done.

7. Depdog

To all that attended, thanks and for anyone with digital pics, please email them to me at viveiros@bellsouth.net

I have DSL, so I can download a large file.

Depdog

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Wow, that looks like alot of fun. One day my rig will be capable of that and I'll head up that way. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm here! Home that is! Damn! What a time!! Minus all the waiting games it was a blast. At this rate...It'll take me 20 trips to see all of Tellico. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Glenn, that tie-rod was a problem on the way home. Even though ever so slightly "curved", I couldn't get over 55-60 all the way home for fear of shaking myself or the rig to death. I have all the pics I took posted at Southeast CK5 Tellico Run /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Great pictures. Doesn't Slick rock( trail 9) look like a avalanch? LOL
    After you get it realingned take a punch and put a dimple in the end of the knuckles where the tierod attaches. Measure that distance. PAINT or some how permently put that measurment on the vehicle like under the hood. THen if you aver tweek it again you can get it back into perfect alignment.

So we hear from Bee32 and crew yet? Hope they didn't have any problems on the way back.

11. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

sound like i missed alot of fun. i am sorry i didnt make
    it,but i blew a u joint out on thursday evening. it was bound up in there pretty bad and i thought i blew my rear.
    anyways, didnt get it fixed in time.
    i think rebel88 didnt make it becouse his driveshaft wasnt ready yet.
    great pics.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My alternator died on the way down. Accually, looking back, it was probably dead when I left Atlanta. Made it all the way to Murphy on the Optima and would have made it to the campground if we hadn't stopped for gas. I need to give a BIG thank you to Keith /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for letting me borrow his secondary batt for the rest of the weekend and to 72Thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for hooking me up w/ his spare alternator! The batt saved me from being stuck in town over night and the alt saved me from a run to town the next morning-that would have realy sucked because I would have missed the big ride Sat. My only real carnage was a bent tie-rod and a dented fender. Hopefully I wont find anything else when I clean up. Had a great time.

13. Grim-Reaper

Wonder what happend with Bee32 and his crew. He still hasn't checked in.

14. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Let's see, here's all the carnage I have noticed so far: Bent tie-rod and crushed steering stab., broken in half cab mount, cracked main support under cab as a result of no mount holding up carner of cab, slightly spun axletube in 14FF rear, peeled back rear diff. cover enough to leak oil, cracked frame at steering box, cracked frame at both front spring hangers, nice dent going down side of bed, and tried to peel off pass. side taillight on a rock on upper 2. Needless to say, I have alot of work to do before I go wheeling again.

Will

15. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I dented the front fender /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifDidn't we do the some trails? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Depdog

Hmm, I have no real damage, just some small dents and dings. Some rock rash and thats about it. Typical Tellico stuff. Still cant believe I peeled back the front dana 60 cover enough to leak.

Depdog

17. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

As soon as you make me some of that trick body armor like you have and as soon as I assemble my truck correctly, I won't damage as much stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad to wheel with you. You gave me a lot of good ideas for my truck, too.

Will

18. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Okay, Well we finally made it home. The problem we found out with the v-10 overheating was due to both cats being rotted out on the insides. We found this out on our way home. I was drivin my blazer to try to help out the dodge. We finally broke down on the way home about 3 hours outside of Murphy. I won't waiste alot of time talking about the trailler issues. If the Cat's hadn't have failled we would have had no issues with the tow rig. Next time we are going to trailer seperately. The wife is pretty much a go on me getting a Dually as long as I get her a *&amp;&amp;P and trailler big enough to tow mine and hers.
    We got a late start Sat am to the trails due to lack of sleep. We headed up four to get alittle ride in and to try to catch up and watch everyone come up 9. We had to stop and help a fellow K5 broken down. (Eng Problems) After figureing out as far as I could get that it was Timing and tinkerin with it for over an hour they decided to drag him down. We hit the trail again and came up to Fane's Fourge. I put the front tires to crawl out of the water and up the other side and blew out the outer shaft on drivers side. Dropped the front drive shaft and got it back to camp in 2X with some minor problems with my buddies k10 starter overheating and shorting out his entire elec systems a few times but we both drove into camp to wait for everyone else. Thanks to BigJbear we replaced the outer shaft and on Sun headed to the top of 2 after much confusion on the CB. Sorry Keith and Zonk and everyone else about that. Met up with everyone there and I end up blowin the front left Hub out. So I headed back to camp. The K10 made it up after many tries and finally pullin cable. He said he should have aired down before triin to go up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    All in all for the Va crew, we had a blast. The drive down and back were the only killers. We both learned alittle about rock crawlin and had a blast on the trails and talkin and meetin everyone at Crawfords. Even the wife wants to go back next year as long as we get the trailler issue figured out. Thanks to everyone for showin us a good time. The drive was worth the trip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Grim-Reaper

Man that stinks about the tow rig breaking down. Change the O2 sensors on that truck. If it was running rich for a long time it will cook the cats.
    Glad to hear you guys made it back ok.
    Look for you next year and I'll bring my truck and thrash it some.

20. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a plan. I will have mine more ready before then. Maybe even ready enough to hit 9. We are already makin the plans for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Fergot to mention this earlier, I also bent back my rear diff cover enough to leak but alittle persasion with a big hammer and that was okay to ride Sun and drive it home with no issues with mine on the way home, except I noticed the sterring is ALOT LOOSER /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Alittle Hairry in the MNTS. Made for an intersting ride home.