Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*TELLICO NEEDS YOUR HELP!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTPockets, Aug 1, 2002.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

stumbled across this from another thread...we muststop the manfrom closing one of the southeasts best trails. please check this link and act now!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.sfwda.org/
    There is a link on the right side of the page where you can send letters and such. MANY ORV's are closed in winter months because when the top layer of SOil feezes it becomes very loose when it thaws. Very easy to get into errosion problems. THis guy is bent out of shape (and rightly so) because he runs rental cabins and would loose buisness in the winter.

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Our club went over these proposed changes last month as well as many other clubs I'm sure. We too feel that #4 was the main one we were concerend about. I know the Geargia Bounty Runners (GBR) has a Winter Madness ride in Jan. Our club felt that if we allow them to close it just these few months it sets a precidence for future closures. The head guy is very cool and open to any suggestions. I have talked to him before and he really wanted to get some rules into place since he may retire. Although no one knows but him when that might be. He just wanted the next guy to have a easy time taking over. The rules are really needed if you read them. Like no ATV's on trail #2 (lower half)and # 9. I'm pretty sure this will not pass since few people really wheel at that time of the year up there anyway. Maybe locals on good days. But I agree it should stay open all year.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

David Borum (land use for Southern) Is bent out of shape about even the ATV stuff. After reading some points he had about it I'm not sure what way to go. By FAR most of the issues with off trail are ATV and rails. They piss me off to no end. they have several ATV only trails in the area but time and time again they are up trails they can't traverse without leaving the approved trail. Trail 9 is a prime example. No way in hell a ATV could make that rock garden. Yet think about how many you see up there and how tore up it is on the left from them. there isn't a stitch of ground cover left and 95% of it is because of the ATV's
    . David's stance on this is not to give an inch. If we close to one group that it opens a precident to close more. The fact of the matter is the problem is lack of Enforcement. The Alcohol rule has already been there. Nobody to enforce. The rules to stay on the trail are there. Nobody to enforce. The only time you see ANY FS people anywhere but the TN line where they are hasseling people camping, is if there is a wreck. they drive in in a Excursion and write a report. The Ambulance has usualy come and gone if one was needed before they even get there. Hell half the time the whole scene is cleared and gone before they get out there. The pople you call on the signs not only cover that area but 3 others. They Need people that are there every weekend when it's busy on ATV's patrolling places BECIDES trail 1.
    After hearing those fact then yes what's the point of a No ATV trail if there is nobody to enforce the rule?

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't understand why he is so worked up about the no ATVs on 2 & 9, there are no trucks alowed on the ATV only trail (can't remember the #) I also dissagree w/ the winter closing. Winter maddness is too much fun!