Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tellico Nov. 17 or 18?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, Oct 23, 2001.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

A couple of my friends are doing a cross country wheeling trip, hitting trails all over on their way back to NY from CA, and they want to check out Tellico. I'm in Charleston, SC right now so I'm going to meet them there. The only problem is that we don't know our way around the area, or know any of the trails. I figured that if any of you guys that are "regulars" are going to be there, or want to go that weekend, maybe we could ride along. My friend has a YJ on 35" Ground Hawgs with a locker and a truetrac, and I'll have my k5 on 36" TSL's with dual lockers. We want to ride some difficult trails but we still need to be able to drive away at some point in the following week [​IMG] so we can't kill our rigs. Let me know if anyone's up for a ride. Thanks.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I doubt if I can make it. Have another trail ride with my club that weekend at a different trail. If you can get there friday the FS sells maps of the trail system. Signs pointing you to the place off the main hwy.
    www.onthetrails.com will have some maps online. Not sure if the second link is work anymore. Was a site a club member had. should find some links to other clubs off the Southern site. communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That sums it up fairly well. The Jeep eating tree on 5 is called that for a reason and the line to the right has gotten worse. With 35s you will be dragging your diffs. Watch out for the culvert pipes. One tip, trim the bottom edge of of your rear diff cover above the bottom of the casting so it doesn't peal back.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Grim-Reaper

Yeah I tore up my diff cover at tellico also. I had beaten the lip flat and it still go hung. I'm going to fire up my new welder and make a guard for the rear diff cover with some 3/13 plate around the bolts on the lower half. Wish they were stout like the fronts from the factory.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The rocks in the Adirondack Mountains already took care of my diff cover, hopefully I'll have time to reinforce it before Tellico. Thanks for the trail advice, it should help a lot. We're still trying to decide how hard of trails we want to run since there's only the two of us so far. My friend Mark has a warn 12000 on his yj and I was hoping to have one on my rig but that's not looking to good right now since I need tires VERY badly. We may end up at Uwharrie instead because one of my friends from Charlotte is going to be there with some of his club testing some new mods on his cherokee. I know Uwharrie is no comparison to Tellico but it might have to do for now. I'd rather wheel with a larger group incase we have problems, which ALWAYS seems to happen. Anyway, Thanks again for the tips on Tellico. Hopefully I'll get out there before I have to move back to Rochester in March.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Let me know if you go to Uwharie, me and a few others might join ya if you do.

89 K5 Silverado
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. Grim-Reaper

Yeah it's about as bad (or good depending on your outlook) as it has ever been. Tellico got some serious use this year.
    I do know there is a work weekend up there the 10th and 11th. I know they plan on working on 4, 5, 6. Those trails get the heavy use and to get to everything but 2 you have to travel them. They need to get the backhoe in there and fix trail 5 and install a new culvert where BigJBear bashed in the door. They also need to take the Duce and dump a load of rocks to stablize that section. It's at a wet area and the eco people go ape do do when they get siltation. Maybe all fixed by the time you get there and those be a fairly easy run. The loop of 4-5-6 takes about 4.5 hours if it's dry. about 6 wet. could do the 8 loop and get a couple more hours. Even with the problems on those trails you could still get buy with just a strap.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper