Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tellico

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by blazing86, Aug 26, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

I am going to tellico the last weekend in oct. It should be fun. My friend and his izuzu group is going. Stuff always breaks with them. Anyone interestd?

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

What trails you going to be running? WIll they be easy? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

3. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

Im not to sure what trails we will be running, but mostly the 2's and 3's. I am planning on going on two or 3 4's though. Ithink trail 11 and myabe 4. Your set up is close to mine. It would be nice to have a fellow k5 along side of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Suggested Trails for First Timers
    If this is your first trip to Tellico I'd like to suggest the following sequence of trails.
    Easiest: But not easy. From the gravel/dirt road known as trail 1, get on trail 4. After the river crossing, trail 4 will turn into trail 6. Continue on trail 6 until you come to the end at trail 1. In my opinion, this is the easiest possible ride though, it may prove to be quite a challenge for most stock vehicles.
    Difficult: If that was to tame, from trail 1, get on trail 6 and run it to trail 4 and then take a right on to trail 5. Trail 5 will take you back to trail 1. If you are not ready to head back to camp, turn around after the river crossing on trail 5 and go back up trail 5 to trail 4. Take a right on trail 4 and head back to trail 1. Trail 5 is very, very difficult for stock vehicles going down to the river from 4. Even more difficult going up to 4 from the river.
    More Difficult: If trail 5 only gave you somewhat of a challenge, try going down the upper section of trail 2 then turn around at the bottom of upper 2 and drive back up. Upper Trail 2 is the first trail that you come to when you are driving to the trails on trail 1 from Murphy.
    Most Difficult: OK, if the trails have been all to boring so far, you may be ready for trail 9 or 11. To do trail 11 the route will be trail 1 to 4 to 11 to 3 to 4 to 1. For trail 9, you can start on either trail 4 or 6 to get to trail 8 which will take you to the bottom of trail 9. These trails are TOUGH!! If you don't roll over on 9, you will most likely only suffer under carriage damage from the large rocks. On trail 11, most people suffer at least slight body damage.You will most likely need a winch and a buddy or two to spot for you on either of these trails. I wouldn't recommend these trails for the faint hearted or for any stock vehicle.
    Only The Toughest Survive: Well, you've did trails 1, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 11 and wondering where the hard trails are (Yea Right). Drive to the Tennessee end of trail 1 and hop on to the trail know as Lower 2. This trail will test you, your vehicle, your spotter, and, your patience. If you don't damage something on this trail...You are Good!! Good Luck!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

The area, donated a couple of decades ago by a logging company, consists of 12 trails of varying lengths for a total of about 40 miles. The trails themselves are mostly rocks and dirt, and many are lined with high eroded "walls" of dirt and roots. The trails change over time, and were rated on the map some time ago. The following trail descriptions give the Difficulty Rating that you will find on the map that you can purchase from the forest service and then my opinions that are based on observations made during the Spring of 2000.

Trail #1. Rated Easiest, but was graded, drained, and graveled. It is the way in from Murphy, and I've seen two wheel drive vehicles drive it from one end to the other although there are sections that could be very tough for low clearance vehicles.

Trail #2. Rated Moderate. Can you say WRONG!! The lower section is definitely a Most Difficult trail. I've seen more drive train parts broken on this trail than any other. It is divided into Upper 2 and Lower 2. The Upper section, known locally as the Bobsled Run, is Difficult, with several ledges, drop-offs and a few nice rocks and roots. The Lower section, known locally as Rock Garden, is very, very difficult, and consists mainly of large boulders and is usually wet in places. Since this trail becomes increasingly more difficult each year and trail 12 has been modified in one of it's hardest sections that makes it somewhat easier, I now feel that Lower 2 is the Most difficult trail at Tellico. The Lower section should be rated Most Difficult.

Trail #3. Rated Moderate but has become easier with erosion. It offers a lovely view of the bottom of 12 and the backside of 11 (see below).

Trail #4. Rated Easiest, and while it is probably the easiest of the 12 trails, it is not EASY. It can prove to be quite difficult for a stock vehicle. It connects to trail 6 and together they run across the entire area and are used to access most other trails.

Trail #5. Rated Moderate. I consider this trail Difficult. It has a few smaller ledges, some large rocks, and an interesting creek crossing at the bottom. It is a bit more difficult than trail 4.

Trail #6. Rated Most Difficult, but trail relocation has placed the obstacle that made it most difficult on trail 7. Should be rated Moderate. Trail 6 is very much like trail 4.

Trail #7. Rated Moderate, but the end that meets 4 and 6 has a very dangerous 5-foot tall rock ledge that is the only major obstacle on the trail. Many vehicles of all types have rolled going up and down.

Trail #8. Rated Moderate. A very pretty loop trail, that offers views of both the top and bottom of trail 9. It has some small sections of rock that provide the rating.

Trail #9. Rated Most Difficult. Known locally as Slick Rock (named for going down) or Roll-Over Hill (named for going up), the big rock in the middle of the trail is about two stories tall, and due to the natural spring, it is smooth, slick, and always wet. The bottom has some large boulders that are still difficult no matter how much they’ve been shifted.

Trail #10. Rated Moderate. ATV and motorcycle use only. I got an e-mail from a person who recently (July, 1999) rode this trail. He warns that even though the trail is rated moderate, it has some tricky sections that can be hazardous. He also suggests that you not try this trail without another vehicle along. The buddy system is always a plus for safty.

Trail #11. Rated Most Difficult. Trucks usually go up from 4, and down to 3 to avoid going down the two big rock faces on the 4 side. They are called Guardrail (named after the guard rail attached to the trees to keep people from rolling off the mountain, and Helicopter Pad (that has a dirt go around, and is named for the flat rock at the top that, legend has it, has been used to rescue people from the top). There is not a go around for guard rail bt there is one for the pad. The backside (leading to 3) has a pretty rough section comming off the top but is not to difficult after that. There are several opportunities for body damage on trail 11.

Trail #12. Rated Most Difficult. Known locally as Schoolbus (named from the logging days when a school bus got left at the top). It is very steep, has many rock ledges, tight turns, and some deep ruts. Many use to claim this to be the toughest trail but I think most now would agree that trail 2 has now claimed that honor.

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

yo keith, im ready to ride! still havent tested this second wave of upgrades. when you going next???

let me know. rob

oh yeah, you and your club going to the 4X4 jamborees in south carolina in october??

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I too have had some new stuff added so I plan to attend the Dixie Run. First weekend in October

8. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

DIXIE RUN IS THE FIRST WEEKEND OF OCT?

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, we have already discussed trails and all on the two "Dixie Run" threads on the main board. If you want to go you better sign up soon. I think you already missed the first deadline but you can get under the second, the price goes up for each deadline. Go to sfwda.org for the info &amp; do a search of the main board to find our plans.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>