Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Telling the Temp? Temp gauge off? and "closed loop"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Oct 8, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Telling the Temp? Temp gauge off? and \"closed loop\"

OK, I took my guages out and was going to install white face stickers on my guages and ended up not doing it because the dials on my guages would not come off. Well in the moving and trial and error, I think my temp gauge is off. My truck does not registar over 150deg on the guage now. Is there a way to tell what the engine temp is (maybe a second gauge attached to temp sender on motor?). Also what temp do I need to get to to get into the 'closed loop' for the Fuel Injection? Thanks, Jeremiah /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Telling the Temp? Temp gauge off? and \"closed loop\"

I believe it's 190 or 195. It should be a couple degrees lower than the opening temp of the thermostat, and higher than the closing temp.
    IceMan

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can hook up another temp gauge temporarily, so that you can recalibrate the factory gauge. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

GM's need 2 things to go into closed loop. The engine must be at 160 degrees or higher and the oxygen sensor must be hot enough to generate a reading. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The one-wire O2 sensor won't operate if it gets below 600 degrees F. This can happen if the engine is idling for long periods.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Engine temp should be monitored by the ECM, if you can get your hands on a scanner, it will tell you what the temp sensor is spitting out, (engine temp in other words) of course, the sensor could be bad too, but its not a part that fails very often.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

you ever tried WinALDI? I'm in the process of making the cable I need to try it out! That idea has crossed my mind to get in the ECM! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

I have not tried it (no laptop as of now) but I do know someone that has tried it (and also another member here has I thought!) and he said it is "10 times better" than even a live data scanner. Coming from who it did, that is very high praise.

I would certainly go that route if you already have the laptop!

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

WinALDL is a GREAT program! I used it all the time on my '92 RS Camaro (before I was t-boned /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

Anyway, WinALDL will give you the engine temp from the ECM. If your gauge is bad, you'll be able to tell. If the sensor is bad, it'll read the same as your gauge.

WinALDL will allow you to do data recording on all the sensors at once. That is much better than most scanners.
    It also charts out any detonation you may be getting with respect to RPMs and TPS (I think TPS?). You can use this chart to performance tune an engine to the max without having to worry about detonation /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thomas.

8. dyeager535

Which is what I hope people will realize: Computers in vehicles are not all bad : )