Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

temp. gauge help

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Apr 4, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Last night my temperature gauge appeared to stop working (never moved above the cold mark at all). My guess is just a bad connection somewhere, but I don't have a good wiring diagram.

Does anybody have a diagram, or could point me as to where all of the connections are? I assume this reads off of the temp. sender located on the front upper portion of the engine (same place the GP controller reads)?? I'm sure I could figure it out eventually, but some good directions would definitely make it quicker!

2. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

First connection is on temp sender,that is on front of the drivers side head,next to exhaust manifold.Green wire goes from there to firewall,and I believe that it goes from firewall straight to gauge panel,where is big connector.But if thats loose,all other gauges wouldn't work either.
    Check the sender first.

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

why would guage stop working. Arent they mechanical. or whatever. mine didnt need any wired to work. the wires were only for the light and the other was for ground.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, what I thought was the temp sender is located on the top-front, sort of towards the passenger side of the intake. It screws in and has a two pin connector (one yellow and one black wire). I know this at least controls the glow plugs from previous tests. If there a different temp sender just for the gauge? I've been looking through schematics and stuff but can't really find anything definite.

I checked the temp sender connection (the one mentioned above) and it looked okay, but I cleaned it up anyway. Also, the auto glow plugs and fast idle advance all appear to be functioning correctly and I believe they get a signal from this sender.

5. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

My sender for the guage is located just below the a/c compressor bracket. If you turn your head just right, you can see it form the top. It has only a one-wire connection.

Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Mine too is on the Drivers side, front of block. You cant MISS IT. Then again my a/c compressor isnt installed yet.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I will definitely have to check it out considering I had the A/C compressor and p/s pump off the other day......probably knocked the connector loose or something.

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Yep,that might be the problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif