Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp gauge not fuctioning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Oct 2, 2000.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

Another question now that i have a forum of experts, my temp gauge in my 4x4 hasn't worked since i got it. If i connect the terminal to the sensor in the head, the gauge just buries itself past 260. I tried another gauge, same thing. I also bought a new temp sensor, connected the wire to it, and dumped it in a cup of hot water, still buried. What gives? people tell me its grounded somewhere but i've followed the wire most of the way and it seems okay. Any ideas? truck again is a 86 silverado 4x4, no cpu.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I believe the gauge is grounded to the block, so when you screw it in don't use to much tephlon tape or the gauge won't ground. Or just get a suntech gauge for 8 bucks and screw in the sender in the same place in the motor and WALA no more worries...............js

3. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

Well i replaced the sending unit today and after letting it idle for about 5-7 mintues, nothing happened. The needle just stayed below 100. Then i took it for a drive and while i was turning around in a coal-di-sack (no idea how to spell that), the needle flipped around to past 260 again. I'm freakin stumped. must be a bad gauge. seems like gravity from the turn made it flip over. dunno