Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

temp gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Mar 19, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 blazer. I have replaced the thermostat, temp sending unti. I know i have power going to the sending unti as well. My temp gauge, once warmed up, only moves about 1/4 of the way, and i know my engine is way hotter than that. Im thinking that the gauge its self is crapped out. Has anybody replaced theres? HOw hard was it?

2. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

anyone?.....anyone know what all is involved in this?

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well, pull the wire off the temp sender and ground it out on some bare metal. Turn on the key and watch the gauge, it should peg all the way to the right. If not then you probably have the wrong sender or your wire is messed up. If it doesn't peg than your gauge needs to be replaced. Its very simple to do. First undo all the bolts that hold on your pretty chrome and black instrument bezel. Keep track of the screws, long ones are for the chrome, and short for the black (i think). There are also 4 screws by the steering column that hold on a black plastic cover on the bottom. Remove that and keep track of which screws go where. Then undo the bolts that hold on your dash. Gently pull back and up on your dash pad so it gives you a little more room around your instruments. While it isnt necessary to move your pad up, it helps alot. Then pull off your chrome and black bezel, the a/c vent in the upper right corner can be a pain and is the main reason to move the dash pad a little. Now you should see the big, clear plastic lens that covers your gauges. There are some bolts holding it on, remove them, then the lens. Then you should see a thin, black plastic cover under that. It comes out by hand, be careful not to damage it. Then on your temp gauge should be one or two bolts on the corners, remove them. Then grasp the gauge around the outside and pull straight back, couldn't be easier. While you are there you can easily change your instrument bulbs and do a little dusting. Installation is reverse and keep track of which length screws go back where. Good Luck [​IMG]