Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp Gauge

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rivermtnman, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

Getting ready to buy a temp gauge for 6.2, was wondering if I unhook the stock sensor(driver's side front of block) and replace with new one, will it cause any problems. Glow plugs use any info from the stock sensor?

If they do then where should I install mine? I just cant make myself trust an idiot light.

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm thinking the same thing. I don't really like that the CUCV is almost all idiot lights and no gauges. Anyway, I think the glow plug stuff uses a different sensor located at the back/top of the motor. I pulled my original (now disabled) glow plug electronics out, and nothing else was connected to that sensor (the new GP controller doesn't use temp).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the front driver's sensor is not going to the GP controller, but it might be going to the fast idle stuff in addition to the idiot light. Did you look for a gauge that could work off one of the existing sensors?

I'm wondering if there is a gauge around that could work off of the coolant temp sensor that used to be going to the GP controller. Then I could have a real gauge in addition to the idiot light. Maybe something similar would work for you.

3. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

With the original CUCV glowplug system removed, you could use the sensor on the rear driver's side of the block for water temp gauge and keep the original sensor on the driver's side front for the idiot light. Thats what I did with my M1008.

The sensor for the fast idle is located at passenger's side rear of block.

What about oil pressure? How can I keep the idiot light and add a gauge?

Regards,
    Walter

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What kind of gauge did you get? I looked at Autometer, but it looks like they want their own sending unit and a bunch of other garbage.

5. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

LOL, I've opened the can of worms now. Thinking same thing, I've ripped the old dash pad out, now I have plenty of places to mount gauges. I atleast want oil pres, cool temp, and tran temp. Then 6 months from now, 25 forum post, a book full of foul language, and I might get it running again, haha.

6. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

You're correct about that.
    I looked over at my sender this morning. It's definitely not the original one. I think it was a complete kit, gauge & sending unit.
    Installation was about 5 years ago - sorry about the misleading.

Regards,
    Walter