Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp guage sending unit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Feb 3, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

How do OEM units work? I assume Xresistance=Y reading on the guage.

How can I find a sending unit that will interchange with the stock one? I'm looking for one with a smaller thread diameter than the OEM units.(1/8"NPT instead of the 1/2"NPT OEM) I guess that as long as the resistance is in the same range(Xohms - Yohms) the senders will interchange.

Anybody know how to find out the ohm range of my stock guage? A GM electrical manual or something?

All input is appreciated!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check with Napa. Their "echlin" line of stuff has an awesome catalog that shows the ohm rating of the oil pressure senders. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same for the temp senders.

I wish I could get my hands on one of those catalogs. They list the threads, applications, terminal pinout, and the operation (wiring diagram) of the device if its something like the oil pressure combo switch/senders I was looking at.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Where are you gonna mount the sender? As a trans temp gauge or something ? You couldn't use threaded adapters ? Most real parts stores for automotive or even plumbing have good assortment of fittings. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif