Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp guage with no #s. What do the marks represent?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Apr 22, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Just curious because my truck only heats up to the 1/4th mark and was wondering if it were running too cool? If it is, mabey I should run a hotter thermostat. What do the marks mean on a numberless temp guage?

2. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

On my '90 350 TBI:

Far left - 100 deg.
    mid left -
    middle/upper - 210 deg.
    mid right -
    Far Right - 260 deg

On my '83, I took the mid left mark to be about 155 deg, and that is where mine ran for 300,000 miles. I run a 195 thermostat in my '90 because of computer control, and it sits just left of 210 deg.
    It appears to be a lop-sided guage as far left to center is a 110 degree difference, while center to far right is only a 50 deg. difference. Go figure?

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Where should a healthy engine run? I might need to change out my thermostat because it runs just on of the mark you took to read as 155.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have a cooking thermometer, you can test fluid temp at the cap, which will give you a fairly good idea where you are really running. The stock gauges work, but they are relative, and I wouldn't rely on them to determine the actual numbers.

5. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

I have a computer controlled engine, therefore I want mine to run at 195 to keep the the computer from thinking it's always cold, which will cause it to run rich and burn more fuel. Since yours has no numbers, I'm assuming it's an older one without a PITA computer. I don't see where it would hurt to run one a little colder. I would like to drop mine down, because playing in sand will run up the temp guage, even with a 3 row radiator. I have heard that if an engine runs hotter, it will burn off more carbon deposits, however, in my opinion heat is the enemy of an engine. Like I said, I ran my '83 305 for nearly 300,000 with the temp guage at the 155 mark, and it's still running today. With all that said, if you are not having any drivability problems, and IF it were mine, I would probably leave it alone.

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

My rig runs just below that left/middle mark also. I'm not complaining. I've still got the original engine (26yrs) and it has only been over 1/2 way once when I blew a radiator hose.

My bet is that the cooler your radiator fluid the better off your transmission will be also. I'd leave it right where it is at unless you live where it is colder than all get out and you need a better heater.