Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TEMP GUAGES

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedjimmy, Jul 24, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

I plan on instaling a oil temp guage as well as a transmission temp guage in my GMC later on down the road.

I don't really want to be drilling all kinds of holes in the tranny or oil pan because thats just another spot where it could leak from.

Can't i just plug a sensor in the cooling lines right before they go into the cooler.
    As far as the oil goes, couldn't it go in either of the sensor spots on the engine(SBC) I won't have he idiot light anymore so that leaves a spot for the PSI guage and an empty spot where i should be able to put a sensor. Right??

Any help appreciated

2. jackedjimmy

3. jackedjimmy

ttt again...don't mean to be an ass but i need some info.

thanks

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The perferred place for a trans temp sensor is in the pan. But Yes you can plumb one in the cooling lines up stream fron the oil cooler. It will work fine.
    As for the engine oil. Just replace the stock oil pressure sending unit for the idiot light, with the sensor for the new oil guage . Most oil guages come with all the fittings you need.

5. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Would you want to plumb the transmission temp. guage in the return line or the line that feeds into the cooler??

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I personally want to know how HOT the tranny is getting so I'd go with the line going TO the cooler(temp of fluid BEFORE it's cooled).If the feed temp. is o.k. then the return line temp's will of course be cooler.