Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TEMP GUAGES

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jackedjimmy, Jul 24, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

I plan on instaling a oil temp guage as well as a transmission temp guage in my GMC later on down the road.

I don't really want to be drilling all kinds of holes in the tranny or oil pan because thats just another spot where it could leak from.

Can't i just plug a sensor in the cooling lines right before they go into the cooler.
    As far as the oil goes, couldn't it go in either of the sensor spots on the engine(SBC) I won't have he idiot light anymore so that leaves a spot for the PSI guage and an empty spot where i should be able to put a sensor. Right??

Any help appreciated

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well for the tranny, I doubt anyone makes an "inline" sensor that's threaded so you don't have to cut. Although not indicative of the highest tranny temp necessarily, you can plug a sensor into any of the pressure fittings that are tapped on the side of the casing. AFAIK, all are square headed.

As to oil, I have a feeling a gauge plugged into the head or block would be affected by coolant temp enough to make the reading fairly inaccurate. Not understanding your setup (no idiot light, but a PSI gauge and an empty spot??) I would say a "T" off of the stock oil pressure hole (next to the distributor) for both the pressure gauge and temp, if its as simple as adapting its threads into a fitting.

3. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I ended up making my own "inline sensor" with a brass T-fitting and some thread adapter fittings from the hardware store. Problem is that no one carries adapter fittings that have a male inverted flare on one end (the radiator) and a pipe thread on the other (the T). I used a compression firring that has 'almost' the same thread than a male inverted flare - didn't leak at all.

I also should add that I was a happier man when I didn't know what my transmission temp was at, e.g. at 102F, slow traffic in the city, w/ A/C on max.....