Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bammax, Oct 9, 2004.

1. bammax

bammax Registered Member

My '88 K5 isn't showing any temp on the guage. I replaced the thermostat thinking it might be stuck open but it didn't fix the problem. Now I need to try swapping out the sending unit but I don't know where to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

Should be on the drivers side head I belive with a green wire or a yellow and black wire.

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

its your temp sender. tsu 81 at advanced auto IIRC. or tsu 105 if not. did you ever overheat the engine? that usually fries the sender. i had the same prob. i thought that my new water pump was doing a great job cooling. it was the sender. it should cost around 15 bucks

4. bammax

bammax Registered Member

I tried grounding the sender wire to the block and nothing happened, so i guess the gauge is shot. I'll probably end up replacing the sender unit anyway since it's starting to get pretty nasty looking. A new sending unit, gauge, and coolant flush to go along with the new thermostat and I should have all my bases covered.