Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp Sender doesn't fit......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kp, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

Ok, I just put a rebuilt 454 into my sub, and I am finding that the temp sender from the old engine doesnt fit the new engine. The sender is too small for the hole.
    Thru a little bit of research on this site, I found that the early(pre-80) heads have a larger port, and I think I found the Part # for the sender that will fit.
    BUT, will the larger sender work with the gauge in my "83? Is it going to be off all the time? If so, is there a way to correct that without replacing the gauge?
    I dont really want to drive the truck without a temp gauge.
    Also, what is the correct oil pressure on a 454?
    Thanks in advance!

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Use an NPT adapter. You probably have to go from 1/8" to 1/4" npt. They sell those at any hardware store. Also the temp sender is probably the same. Its not a big deal to change them out luckily.

Correct oil pressure depends on alot of things. But rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000 rpm (5000rpm = 50psi)

John

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All the gauges work the same way, senders are interchangeable short of the physical size problem you found. :)