Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp sender questions...which ones and where...?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 30, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was trying to figure out some wiring issuse today and was reminded of my non-opperational coolant temp gauge...I then recalled that some 350's have a sender at the neck at the thermostat and some have a sender in the head between cylinder #1 and #3...well I have a sender at the thermostat the has a couple wire coming out of it, and I have what looks like a sender in the head bewtween 1 and 3...the sender in the head has nothing hooked up to it and the part protruding form the head kind of looks like the head of a nail...is this then temp sender i need to hook my temp gauge up to? Thanks for the help gang...I really need to know how hot this thing is getting b/c last time I drove it was in the winter and I didn't own it last summer so I don't know what to expect from it...thanks again...

Chris

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

On my 71 with mechanical guages the guage hooks up between 1 and 3. Therefore I believe that is the one you need to make the guage work.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep thats it. Crummy connector GM used for quite some time probably broke and melted on the exhaust /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

the sending unit for the temp gage in the dash is the one in the head . it is suposed to loke like that(like a head of the nail) just hooked the therminal on it and BAMM it should work!!! (it hook up sideway not strait on)

As far as the one in the termostat housing is for the ECM
    (kinda square looking connecter whit a few wire on it)
    u must have a EFI or a feed back carb ,that why it's there.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would assume even the trucks with the mixture control governed by temp would have received the temp sender in the water neck as well... (I don't believe that is considered a Feedback Carb)

6. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

I think that ur right dyeager535 not sure(the emession law are diff.here (canada)).we had the ones whit the double acceleration pump controled by the temperature,for sure!

anyway, i use the term"feed-back" for all the ones whit electronic stuff on it. It hard to keep track of all the weird name they (GM)come up whit.