Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp sending unit placement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Mar 31, 2003.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

PO had the temp sending unit in the head (between #1&#3 cylinder). After the dash guage died I replaced it with a after market mech. guage in the same spot in the head. I have a 3 row radiator, new thermostat (180) and have reverse flushed the system. It's now in the 90's here in El Centro and I am running between 190 and 205, Later next month we will be in the 110's. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Is this normal for a temp reading from the head? Should I relocate the sending unit to the thermo housing? Thanks

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds about right to me. A little warmer then I like, but most all GM's come with a 195 t-stat, so I say its ok. I like 180, but there's nothing wrong with temps up to 210.... At 230 start to really worry /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

John [​IMG]

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I agree but you can always go with a 160. Also a tip i learned drill two small holes in the outer edge for vent hole and that will help with air pockets.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

It should be fine where you have it, that's where I have mine. It can be placed in either spot, but the temp reading should be the same.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Changing t-stat rated temp will make no difference if the cooling system can't maintain a higher temp level, as in this case. The only possible difference is if the truck normally runs at rated temp, but only climbs in say, traffic. THEN the truck will take SLIGHTLY longer to "overheat", since the starting temp will be a bit lower.

Still an indication of an inadequate cooling system.

IMO flushes are worthless unless you can flowtest the radiator. They tend to corrode WORST at the bottom, and there is no way you can see plugged cores halfway down the radiator. If it was bad enough to consider a flush, its possibly bad enough that the radiator is really plugged.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you local radiator shop can rod out the tubes and not expensive and at that time they will pressure test it too /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck