Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temp sensor question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Jul 23, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I was wondering why my temp senor is not reading anything after my engine swap. I’m not sure but it seems like there were two temp sensors for my 86 blazer. One is on the water neck.
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/heat4.JPG
    different angle
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/heat3.JPG
    And this one that used to be in the side of my engine block.
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/heat1.JPG

I have completed an engine swap and now my temp sensor does not work. The one that is supposed to be in the side of the engine block is not installed and the one that connects to the water neck is hooked up but nothing reads.

By any chance does anyone have part numbers for these sensors i'd like to replace them?

Any help?

king

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the one you have installed is for computer stuff, and the one you left out is for the guage. I only have the one you left off, not the other (and I have a functioning guage, but no computer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Thats what i was hoping to hear i'll try and see if i can just swap them and check it out tonight.
    king

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

They are not the same sensor...you can't just swap them. The one on the intake manifold (for the ECM) has an electrical clip and I think two prongs...the end on the one in the block between #1 and #3 cylinders (for the gauge) looks almost like a nail head. First thing to do is clean up that connection. One time my gauge stopped working because I had accidently spilled some oil on the sensor and it was blocking the sensor from touching the connector.

5. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Mastiff is right -- at least that's the way it is on my '87. The one on the block is for the guage only, and no I don't think they're interchangeable.

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. with my engine swap i don't use the computer any more and the engine block came with a plug that i did not have the socket head for. so it was the perfect place to just do a swap. it worked out nice to bad i roasted my wire on the headers! but it's still taking readings when i get a chance i'll solder up a replacement.
    king

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

check the driver side head, heads might been swapped from one side of engine to the other.

the socket fitting on the plug is 3/8" ratchet size, all you need is a 1" long one and a long 3/8" ratchet and a good prayer