Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

temperature fluctuation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Feb 9, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

The temp guage on my ever-reliable K5 seems to fluctuate alot. During warm-up from a cold start(usually 20F or below) it doesnt stop at 200 like it used to ...it has been climbing to 240 or so before dropping back down to 200 but then it doesnt always stay at 200 ?

I'm guessing I have an old and maybe tired thermostat but I am all ears to any other suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I checked the fluid levels and conditions and all is fine.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sure does sound like a sticky thermostat. $10 and 20 minutes work will let you know for sure. Your thermostat should be changed out every so often anyway, so it's not like you'd be wasting money.....

I'd be curious to see if it persists after you swap in the new part. It could also be a faulty sender or gauge, but do the easy fix first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Make sure you don't have a giant air pocket in the top hose. Mine always do that a few times when I first fill it up with water.