Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

temperature guage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chris672, Apr 23, 2002.

1. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

My temp guage was read really low, under 100, so I replaced the thermostat (195 degree) and it didn't change much so I changed the coolant temp sensor and and now it is reading about 240 degrees. If I stick a thermometer in the top of the radiator would I get a fairly accurate coolant temp?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Which temp sensor did you replace? IIRC, there are 2 different sensors on later-model SBC's...

Chris

3. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

What is the difference? A neighbor told me to change the coolant temp sensor and he showed me where it was and I replaced it. It was on the bottom left side of the motor in the back. Do you think I put the wrong one in the hole?

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea, IIRC the one you changed is for the gauge and the one at the thermostat housing is for the computer...I would say a thermometer in the rad cap would give you a good indication how hot she is running...But I have no clue what th e temperature differential is between the rad. cap and the sensor in the block...You gauge may be spot-on but the temperature differential may be like 30 degrees or so and that might lead you to believe that the gauge is therefore off by 30 degrees...Just some food for thought..
    Chris